Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Stan Rosenberg <st...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/31 00:23:38 UTC

task jvm bootstrapping via distributed cache

Hi,

I am seeking a way to leverage hadoop's distributed cache in order to
ship jars that are required to bootstrap a task's jvm, i.e., before a
map/reduce task is launched.
As a concrete example, let's say that I need to launch with
'-javaagent:/path/profiler.jar'.  In theory, the task tracker is
responsible for downloading cached files onto its local filesystem.
However, the absolute path to a given cached file is not known a
priori; however, we need the path in order to configure '-javaagent'.

Is this currently possible with the distributed cache? If not, is the
use case appealing enough to open a jira ticket?

Thanks,

stan

Re: task jvm bootstrapping via distributed cache

Posted by Stan Rosenberg <st...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 7:26 PM, Michael Segel
<mi...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Stan,
>
> If I understood your question... you want to ship a jar to the nodes where the task will run prior to the start of the task?
>
> Not sure what it is you're trying to do...
> Your example isn't  really clear.

Correct.  I want to ship a jar to the task, but I need to know its
absolute path before the task jvm is launched.
As an example, -javaagent JVM option expects a jar path.

> See: http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/r0.20.2/api/org/apache/hadoop/filecache/DistributedCache.html
>
> When you pull stuff out of the cache you get the path to the jar.
> Or you should be able to get it.

It would be too late at that point; the task tracker controls the
launching of the JVM.  The path of the shipped jar need to be
available before the task is launched.

> Can you give a better example, there may be a different way to handle this...

Does the example above make sense?

Re: task jvm bootstrapping via distributed cache

Posted by Michael Segel <mi...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Stan,

If I understood your question... you want to ship a jar to the nodes where the task will run prior to the start of the task?

Not sure what it is you're trying to do...
Your example isn't  really clear.

See: http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/r0.20.2/api/org/apache/hadoop/filecache/DistributedCache.html

When you pull stuff out of the cache you get the path to the jar.
Or you should be able to get it.

I'm assuming you're doing this in your setup() method?

Fwd: task jvm bootstrapping via distributed cache

Posted by Stan Rosenberg <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stan Rosenberg <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stan Rosenberg <st...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 1:31 PM, Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> What this would do is merely take your passed -files jar (client-common) and
> symlink it into the JVM's working directory (the task's working directory)
> _before_ the JVM is begun, as "foo.jar". So if I pass additionally, JVM opts
> that refer to this foo.jar under ./, then it would work as you expect it to,
> as the JVM is begun from that directory (its CWD).

The fact that jvm is executed relative to task's cwd completely
escaped me :) Thanks for the clarification! It should definitely work.

Re: task jvm bootstrapping via distributed cache

Posted by Stan Rosenberg <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

As I suspected, cache files are symlinked after a child JVM is
started:  TaskRunner.setupWorkDir is being called from
org.apache.hadoop.mapred.Child.main.
This is unfortunate as it makes impossible to leverage distributed
cache for the purpose of deploying JVM agents.  I could submit a jira
if there is any interest in getting this to work.
Otherwise, I'll think of some other hacks and use a distributed scp as
a last resort.

Thanks,

stan

Posted by Stan Rosenberg <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Stan,

--
Harsh J

Re: task jvm bootstrapping via distributed cache

Posted by rahul p <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Arun,
I am new to hadoop n big data.
Can you help me start working on basics.my experience is into ETL and BI
DWH.

Rahul

Posted by Stan Rosenberg <st...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 4:19 PM, Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> Just do -javaagent:./profiler.jar?

Yep, that should work. Thanks!

Re: task jvm bootstrapping via distributed cache

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

Re: task jvm bootstrapping via distributed cache

Posted by Stan Rosenberg <st...@gmail.com>.
Arun,

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.
Stan,