Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Steven W. Orr" <st...@syslang.net> on 2009/06/05 00:04:35 UTC

I never got WrongMx working and have no idea why.

In my  /etc/mail/spamassassin, I have two files, wrongmx.cf and wrongmx.pm

The cf file looks like this:
loadplugin      WrongMX wrongmx.pm

header          WRONGMX eval:wrongmx()
describe        WRONGMX Sent to lower pref MX when higher pref MX was up.
tflags          WRONGMX net
score           WRONGMX 1.0

My dns MX record looks like this:

;; ANSWER SECTION:
syslang.net.            9738    IN      MX      100 mx2.zoneedit.com.
syslang.net.            9738    IN      MX      0 syslang.net.

The following file came in and we can see that it did not work. The
mail came through mx2.zoneedit.com

From: yyy
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 18:23:52 EDT
Subject: Twin Maple Farm in Saxonville and other dairies.
To: xxx

The pm file is the latest. This trap has never fired and I'm about to give
up on it and shut it off. I just have to think that I must be doing
something wrong. Anyone?

steveo at syslang.net

Re: I never got WrongMx working and have no idea why.

Posted by "Steven W. Orr" <st...@syslang.net>.
On Thursday, Jun 4th 2009 at 19:47 -0000, quoth RW:

> On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 18:04:35 -0400 (EDT)
> "Steven W. Orr" <st...@syslang.net> wrote:
>
>> My dns MX record looks like this:
>>
>> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
>> syslang.net.            9738    IN      MX      100 mx2.zoneedit.com.
>> syslang.net.            9738    IN      MX      0 syslang.net.
>> The pm file is the latest. This trap has never fired and I'm about to
>> give up on it and shut it off. I just have to think that I must be
>> doing something wrong. Anyone?
>>

> I can't really see the point your using this plugin. All you need is a
> one-line custom rule looking for mx2.zoneedit.com in received headers.
> Presumably the advantage of the plugin is that it automatically detects
> that a server is a backup. You already know what your backup is
> called, and presumably you control your mx settings.

That's probably true. But I was thinking that it would be nice to be able
to use something that someone else had already written. Is anyone using
this plugin and getting any use out of it? I'd just like to know if I'm
doing something wrong or if it's just plain broken.

--
steveo at syslang dot net TMMP1 http://frambors.syslang.net/
Do you have neighbors who are not frambors? Steven W. Orr

Re: I never got WrongMx working and have no idea why.

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

On 05.06.09 00:47, RW wrote:
> I can't really see the point your using this plugin. All you need is a
> one-line custom rule looking for mx2.zoneedit.com in received headers.

and another rule comparing the time mail was received - it the difference
was .g. above 5 minutes, it's quite possible that the primary MX was _not_
up ehwn the secondary acepted the mail.

> Presumably the advantage of the plugin is that it automatically detects
> that a server is a backup. You already know what your backup is
> called, and presumably you control your mx settings.

Well, he may have many domeins, some out of his control, and some may have
different backup MX servers...

How does cat play with mouse? cat /dev/mouse

Re: I never got WrongMx working and have no idea why.

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

On 05.06.09 16:51, RW wrote:
> That's unlikely to help, the address appeared several times in the
> email, so "all_to_addrs" should have found it, assuming that "xxx" was
> consistent and correct.
>
> From a quick look at the plugin, it looks like it takes the domain from
> the username or falls back to the first valid address in
> "all_to_addrs". So it could fail if the username contains a domain,
> and that domain has different MX records.

that may be the problem.

I was somewhere trying to provide the destination address to spamc -u
but didn't seem to work...
- Holmes, what kind of school did you study to be a detective?
- Elementary, Watson.

Re: I never got WrongMx working and have no idea why.

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.
On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 16:31:05 +0200
Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk> wrote:

> On 04.06.09 18:04, Steven W. Orr wrote:
>
> > The following file came in and we can see that it did not work. The
> > mail came through mx2.zoneedit.com
>
> Maybe the plugin was unable to find out the destination domain. Can
> you try inserting X-Envelope-To: or Delivered-To: header with the
> envelope recipient to the mail?

That's unlikely to help, the address appeared several times in the
email, so "all_to_addrs" should have found it, assuming that "xxx" was
consistent and correct.

From a quick look at the plugin, it looks like it takes the domain from

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 04.06.09 18:04, Steven W. Orr wrote:
> In my  /etc/mail/spamassassin, I have two files, wrongmx.cf and wrongmx.pm
>
> The cf file looks like this:
> loadplugin      WrongMX wrongmx.pm
>
> header          WRONGMX eval:wrongmx()
> describe        WRONGMX Sent to lower pref MX when higher pref MX was up.
> tflags          WRONGMX net
> score           WRONGMX 1.0
>
> My dns MX record looks like this:
>
> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> syslang.net.            9738    IN      MX      100 mx2.zoneedit.com.
> syslang.net.            9738    IN      MX      0 syslang.net.
>
> The following file came in and we can see that it did not work. The mail
> came through mx2.zoneedit.com

Maybe the plugin was unable to find out the destination domain. Can you try
inserting X-Envelope-To: or Delivered-To: header with the envelope recipient
to the mail?

BSE = Mad Cow Desease ... BSA = Mad Software Producents Desease