Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Jason Dixon <ja...@dixongroup.net> on 2005/05/04 00:21:59 UTC

Re: mod_perl build fails on MakeMaker [SOLVED]

On May 3, 2005, at 1:48 PM, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:

> Jason Dixon wrote:
>
>> I'm attempting to build a statically compiled version of
>> Apache/mod_perl using a localized version of Perl 5.8.6 installed in
>> my home directory. For the most part, everything is running smoothly
>> except now I've run into a problem with MakeMaker.pm. When I try to
>> run the Makefile.PL for mod_perl, MakeMaker complains that it can't
>> find the Perl headers. Reviewing the perldoc for MakeMaker, it
>> appears that PERL_INC should override this behavior, but it still
>> keeps trying to find the headers under /usr/local instead of ~/perl5.
>>
>> Here are all the steps I used to get to this point:
>>

>> $ mkdir ~/perl5 ~/apache
>> $ cd perl-5.8.6
>> $ sh Configure -Umymalloc -des
>
> ./Configure -sde \
>        -Dprefix=$PREFIX
>
> I belive you need to install perl this way instead for starters.

Thanks Philip, I incorrectly thought that setting the DESTDIR would be
enough.  Here are the complete revised installation steps for
installing a static Apache/mod_perl 1.x as non-root (for archival
purposes):

$ mkdir ~/perl5 ~/apache
$ cd perl-5.8.6
$ sh Configure -Umymalloc -des -Dprefix=~/perl5
$ make
$ make test
$ make install
$ export PERL5LIB=~/perl5/lib/5.8.6:~/perl5/lib/site_perl/5.8.6
$ cd ../mod_perl-1.29/
$ ~/perl5/bin/perl Makefile.PL \
        PREFIX=~/perl5 \
        APACHE_PREFIX=~/apache \
        APACHE_SRC=../apache_1.3.33/src \
        DO_HTTPD=1 \
        PREP_HTTPD=1 \
        EVERYTHING=1 \
        USE_APACI=1
$ make
$ make install
$ cd ../apache_1.3.33
$ ./configure --prefix=$HOME/apache \
        --with-layout=Apache \
        --disable-rule=EXPAT \
        --enable-module=rewrite \
        --activate-module=src/modules/perl/libperl.a \
        --disable-shared=perl
$ make
$ make install
$ cd ../Apache-Session-1.6
$ ~/perl5/bin/perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=~/perl5
$ make
$ make install
$ cd ../libapreq-1.33

--
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting

Re: mod_perl build fails on MakeMaker [SOLVED]

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.
Jason Dixon wrote:
> On May 3, 2005, at 1:48 PM, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
>
>> Jason Dixon wrote:
>>
>>> I'm attempting to build a statically compiled version of
>>> Apache/mod_perl using a localized version of Perl 5.8.6 installed in
>>> my home directory. For the most part, everything is running smoothly
>>> except now I've run into a problem with MakeMaker.pm. When I try to
>>> run the Makefile.PL for mod_perl, MakeMaker complains that it can't
>>> find the Perl headers. Reviewing the perldoc for MakeMaker, it
>>> appears that PERL_INC should override this behavior, but it still
>>> keeps trying to find the headers under /usr/local instead of ~/perl5.
>>>
>>> Here are all the steps I used to get to this point:
>>>

>>> $ mkdir ~/perl5 ~/apache
>>> $ cd perl-5.8.6
>>> $ sh Configure -Umymalloc -des
>>

>> ./Configure -sde \
>>        -Dprefix=$PREFIX
>>
>> I belive you need to install perl this way instead for starters.
>

> Thanks Philip, I incorrectly thought that setting the DESTDIR would be
> enough.  Here are the complete revised installation steps for installing
> a static Apache/mod_perl 1.x as non-root (for archival purposes):
>
> $ mkdir ~/perl5 ~/apache
> $ cd perl-5.8.6
> $ sh Configure -Umymalloc -des -Dprefix=~/perl5
> $ make
> $ make test
> $ make install
> $ export PERL5LIB=~/perl5/lib/5.8.6:~/perl5/lib/site_perl/5.8.6
Just FYI, I believe these are default, so I don't believe you need the
above line.

Glad I could help.

--
END