Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Sean Kirkby <sk...@concentrico.net> on 2007/02/14 17:27:15 UTC

Can't find a temporary directory

Hi,

I'm new to the list, but not that new to Subversion (we've been using it for about 3 years now).

I just created a new Subversion server using v1.4.3, and copied a hotcopy of our repo's to the new server.  The old server is using v1.3.x.

Trying to check out or update any repo gives the error "Can't find a temporary directory".  But I am able to commit without a problem.

This happens with repo's that were copied over (format=3), as well as brand new repo's (format=5).

The command I issue from svn is:

svn co http://localhost/ccocode/cs cs

The exact text of the error when using the svn client v1.4.3 is:

svn: REPORT request failed on '/ccocode/cs/!svn/vcc/default'
svn: Can't find a temporary directory: Error string not specified yet

I get similar error when using TortoiseSVN ("svn:" is replaced with "Error:").

I am able to browse any of the repositories using TortoiseSVN, as well as a browser, and can list contents of repos using the svn client.  In addition, the svn client is able to check out from and update any of the repositories using a file:// URL.  I only see the error when using http:// URL's.

I have done quite a bit of Internet sleuthing, and have seen references to unwriteable /tmp and /var/tmp directories, as well as issues with old Apache Portable Runtime packages (in particular, versions prior to v0.9.7 appear to have caused problems in the past.)

I am running Apache v2.0.49.
I am running APR v0.9.12 (this was installed from source from the Subversion dependancies package.)
I am running Subversion v1.4.3.

Apache is running as user "wwwrun".

/tmp and /var/tmp are both rwx for user, group, and world, and are both currently owned by wwwrun.  (Both directories also have the sticky bit set - same as on the old machine.)

I've read some reports of people who said similar things about their temp directories, and yet said that they discovered that the "subversion user" could indeed not write to the temp directories (though they were chmod 777).  I suppose this could be an issue for me too, but I'm not sure how to tell...  I thought that chmod 777 would allow all users to write...?

<Big_Sigh>.

I'm at a loss... so I thought I'd turn to the experts...

Any suggestions?

Much thanks...

--sk.

Re: Can't find a temporary directory

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Feb 14, 2007, at 17:47, Sean Kirkby wrote:

>> I don't see what OS you're using on the new server.... is it a Linux
>> with the SELinux option? If so, you may need more than just chmod;
>> you may need chcon as well; see the FAQ:
>>
>> http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#reposperms

> I am running SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 (SLES9) on both the old
> and new servers, both *without* the SELinux option.

Ah, so then I guess that's not the problem.

> Just out of curiosity, if I had SELinux, and the security context
> of the repositories were an issue, should I be able to browse a
> repository, or commit to it?  Because I am able to perform both of
> those functions...

Yeah, I guess you would have had to tell it that too. My
understanding is that you have to specify for each process what paths
it's allowed to access, so you would have had to tell it where your
repositories are. I thought maybe you would have to tell it also
where your tmp directory is.

Re: Can't find a temporary directory

Posted by Sean Kirkby <sk...@concentrico.net>.
 On 2/14/2007 at 2:31 PM, Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com> wrote:

> On Feb 14, 2007, at 11:27, Sean Kirkby wrote:
>
>> I just created a new Subversion server using v1.4.3, and copied a
>> hotcopy of our repo's to the new server.  The old server is using
>> v1.3.x.
>>
>> Trying to check out or update any repo gives the error "Can't find
>> a temporary directory".  But I am able to commit without a problem.
>>
>> This happens with repo's that were copied over (format=3), as well
>> as brand new repo's (format=5).
>>
>> The command I issue from svn is:
>>
>> svn co http://localhost/ccocode/cs cs
>>
>> The exact text of the error when using the svn client v1.4.3 is:
>>
>> svn: REPORT request failed on '/ccocode/cs/!svn/vcc/default'
>> svn: Can't find a temporary directory: Error string not specified yet
>>
>> I get similar error when using TortoiseSVN ("svn:" is replaced with
>> "Error:").
>>
>> I am able to browse any of the repositories using TortoiseSVN, as
>> well as a browser, and can list contents of repos using the svn
>> client.  In addition, the svn client is able to check out from and
>> update any of the repositories using a file:// URL.  I only see the
>> error when using http:// URL's.
>>
>> I have done quite a bit of Internet sleuthing, and have seen
>> references to unwriteable /tmp and /var/tmp directories, as well as
>> issues with old Apache Portable Runtime packages (in particular,
>> versions prior to v0.9.7 appear to have caused problems in the past.)
>>
>> I am running Apache v2.0.49.
>> I am running APR v0.9.12 (this was installed from source from the
>> Subversion dependancies package.)
>> I am running Subversion v1.4.3.
>>
>> Apache is running as user "wwwrun".
>>
>> /tmp and /var/tmp are both rwx for user, group, and world, and are
>> both currently owned by wwwrun.  (Both directories also have the
>> sticky bit set - same as on the old machine.)
>>
>> I've read some reports of people who said similar things about
>> their temp directories, and yet said that they discovered that the
>> "subversion user" could indeed not write to the temp directories
>> (though they were chmod 777).  I suppose this could be an issue for
>> me too, but I'm not sure how to tell...  I thought that chmod 777
>> would allow all users to write...?
>
> I don't see what OS you're using on the new server.... is it a Linux
> with the SELinux option? If so, you may need more than just chmod;
> you may need chcon as well; see the FAQ:
>
> http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#reposperms

Thanks, Ryan.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.