Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Cool Techi <co...@outlook.com> on 2012/11/21 14:32:18 UTC

Single Tomcat Multiple Shards

Hey Guys,

We are experimenting with solr cloud, this is what we want to set up as,

2 Machines each having have 8 master shards, so total of 16 shards. The assumption is we want to store approximately 4-5 TB data over a period of 1 year of so.
Replication factor of 1 which are again distributed across 3-4 machines.
Initially we want to start with 8 shards in a single tomcat and single machine, but I cannot find a way of having multiple shards in a single SOLR_HOME and single Tomcat. Can this be achieved?
Regards,Ayush

Re: Single Tomcat Multiple Shards

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 21, 2012, at 8:32 AM, Cool Techi <co...@outlook.com> wrote:

> Hey Guys,
>
> We are experimenting with solr cloud, this is what we want to set up as,
>
> 2 Machines each having have 8 master shards, so total of 16 shards. The assumption is we want to store approximately 4-5 TB data over a period of 1 year of so.
> Replication factor of 1 which are again distributed across 3-4 machines.
> Initially we want to start with 8 shards in a single tomcat and single machine, but I cannot find a way of having multiple shards in a single SOLR_HOME and single Tomcat. Can this be achieved?
> Regards,Ayush

Yes, it can be achieved. There are a couple bugs when you run try and run more than one shard from the same collection in a single instance though - they will be fixed in the upcoming 4.1 release.

You simply give the cores the same collection name but different core names.

Later, you can migrate those shards to other servers if you'd like.

- Mark