Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com> on 2006/12/27 19:55:01 UTC

ApacheCon Europe 2007

Roller Developers,

I just thought I'd let y'all know that I'm going to try to speak at
ApacheCon 2007 Europe.  I submitted a few proposals this morning,
including the following 1/2 day tutorial for Roller and Acegi
Security:

<abstract>
Security and Single Sign-on: Roller, Geronimo/LDAP, and Acegi Security
Acegi Security is quickly becoming a widely respected security
framework for Java applications. Not only does this security framework
solve many of the deficiencies of J2EE's security mechanisms, but it's
also easy to implement and configure. This tutorial will help you
learn more about Acegi Security, as well as how to integrate it into
your web applications. The Roller Weblogger project (currently in
Apache's incubator) uses Acegi Security for many of its features:
authentication, password encryption, remember me and SSL switching.
After learning about Roller and Acegi, you will see how to deploy
Roller onto Tomcat and Geronimo. Following that, you will learn how to
hook Roller/Acegi into Apache Directory Server for authentication.
Finally, you will learn how to integrate Roller with a Single Sign-on
System (Yale's Central Authentication Service -
http://www.ja-sig.org/products/cas).

Proposed Agenda:
Hour 1: Introduction to Acegi Security
Hour 2: Introduction to Roller, Installing on Tomcat and Geronimo
Hour 3: Integrating Roller with LDAP (Apache DS) and CAS
</abstract>

I'm interested in finding a flashier title, in case anyone has
suggestions.  Is anyone else planning on attending and/or presenting?
If we have 2+ committers there, we should consider organizing a BOF.

Hope everyone is having a good holiday break!

Matt

--
http://raibledesigns.com

Re: ApacheCon Europe 2007

Posted by Pat Patterson <pa...@superpat.com>.
Hi Ian,

You might want to take another look at OpenSSO - it's thriving! We completed
our first phase of code rollout in August -
https://opensso.dev.java.net/servlets/NewsItemView?newsItemID=4039 - all the
code required to build a working access control and single sign-on solution,
and followed it up with all the federation code in November -
https://opensso.dev.java.net/servlets/NewsItemView?newsItemID=4377 -
supporting SAML 1.x, Liberty ID-FF, ID-WSF and SAML 2.0. You can also find
our architecture docs here:
https://opensso.dev.java.net/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=4019&expandFolder=4019&folderID=4018

Not only are the mailing lists alive (take a look at monthly traffic on the
users@opensso list -
https://opensso.dev.java.net/servlets/SummarizeList?listName=users), we have
committers external to Sun and a web agency in the UK has already built a
solution on OpenSSO and deployed it into production -
http://blogs.sun.com/superpat/entry/audi_uk_using_opensso_to

So - vaporware? Anything but.

As far as OpenID goes, it's orthogonal to OpenSSO. OpenID is an
authentication protocol. OpenSSO is an access control/single
sign-on/federation server. As I mentioned above, OpenSSO already supports
the SAML and ID-FF protocols for cross-domain/federated authentication and
single sign-on, and we are adding WS-Federation soon
(http://blogs.sun.com/superpat/entry/development_in_the_open_opensso). In
fact, one of our committers is looking at adding OpenID support to OpenSSO
right now.

Sorry for the off-topic rambling, but I felt I had to correct the
inaccuracies.

Fair disclosure - I work at Sun. OpenSSO is my day job. So, I'm highly
biased, but, on the other hand, I do know what I'm talking about.

Cheers,

Pat
http://blogs.sun.com/superpat

Re: ApacheCon Europe 2007