Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@comcast.net> on 2004/06/10 15:04:23 UTC

[DISCUSS] JDK 1.4 for Tapestry 3.1

At this time, I'm beginning to want to add features to HiveMind that will make use of JDK 1.4 APIs.
That means Tapestry 3.1 will required JDK 1.4. What do people think about that?  Is it necessary to
avoid dependency on JDK 1.4?

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry

Re: [DISCUSS] JDK 1.4 for Tapestry 3.1

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Jun 10, 2004, at 9:04 AM, Howard M. Lewis Ship wrote:
> At this time, I'm beginning to want to add features to HiveMind that
> will make use of JDK 1.4 APIs.
> That means Tapestry 3.1 will required JDK 1.4. What do people think
> about that?  Is it necessary to
> avoid dependency on JDK 1.4?

I vote for going with 1.4 API's if they add value.  I'm completely on
1.4.x JDK's in all environments.

	Erik

RE: [DISCUSS] JDK 1.4 for Tapestry 3.1

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@comcast.net>.
Outside of changes to the prereq libraries (i.e., HiveMind in, Digester out, etc.) and (potentially)
the need for JDK 1.4, I expect upgrade from 3.0 to 3.1 to be easy.  To gain access to some new
features will require new 3.1 DTDs.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Jakarta Tapestry

Posted by Robert Zeigler <rd...@u.arizona.edu>.
As a tapestry user, I personally have no qualms with moving to jdk1.4;
it's what we use everywhere in both organizations that I work for.

Robert Zeigler

Posted by Harish Krishnaswamy <hk...@comcast.net>.
I would like to move on to 1.4 although it seems like a big leap (1.2 ->
1.4)! We are still on 1.3, so we have to start planning a move to 1.4 first!

-Harish

Posted by Colin Sampaleanu <co...@exis.com>.
I say go for it. 1.4 has been out for a long time now...

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Jun 12, 2004, at 1:44 PM, Anatoli Krassavine wrote:
> Wow, wow, wow, wow - could we slow down a bit, please? I AM strongly in
> favor of moving to 1.4, but (with all due respect to Erik) this
> proclamation
> sounds a bit too militaristic.

Easy now... my comments were more general than just for Tapestry.  I
can only base my views on my experience.  I'm personally developing
software on 1.4 and have been for quite a long time.  I frequently
speak to developers all around the US, and the majority of folks are at
1.4.  Making life hard on myself for backwards compatibility and
"legacy" support is just not of interest to me - I prefer to stay
current and leverage the latest-greatest.

I am but one vote on a move to 1.4-dependent API - if the community
feels strongly about it, then I've no objections either way.

It is a tough decision to make, though.... if we put it to a community
vote, we'd only hear -1's from those that care and far fewer votes from
those that simply aren't concerned about it either way.  But my guess
would be the majority of folks would be in 1.4-savvy world.  Where do
we draw the line?  Do we wait until there are no objections at all?

> Tapestry is not presently a major player in the field - although it is
> on
> the right track to become one. Artificially restricting it's codebase
> to 1.4
> without giving any sensible porting options to 1.3 guys is not a good
> way to
> insure user loyalty and trust.

Howard isn't proposing this change "artificially" - he has very sound
reasons for wanting to upgrade.  I'm +1 on that.

Sensible porting options?  Stick with Tapestry 3.0 - it works fine.
When you move to a container that can support Java 1.4, then you can
upgrade to Tapestry 3.1 - that's my vote.  Those that are passionate
about Tapestry 3.1 working on Java 1.3 can jump in and contribute a
backwards-compatible adapter if they like.  Issues with that?

	Erik

RE: [DISCUSS] JDK 1.4 for Tapestry 3.1

Posted by Anatoli Krassavine <an...@intellidos.com>.
Wow, wow, wow, wow - could we slow down a bit, please? I AM strongly in
favor of moving to 1.4, but (with all due respect to Erik) this proclamation
sounds a bit too militaristic.

Tapestry is not presently a major player in the field - although it is on
the right track to become one. Artificially restricting it's codebase to 1.4
without giving any sensible porting options to 1.3 guys is not a good way to
insure user loyalty and trust.

Sincerely,
  Toly

Intellidos Limited

Posted by Mindbridge <mi...@yahoo.com>.
It is probably a good idea to see what people on the -user list think. I am
personally for this, but perhaps there are still lots of people using
versions of Weblogic/Websphere that work on older jvms. (I believe someone
called it "necrophilia" some time ago). All in all, I do not think that the
advantages of moving to 1.4 are _so_ great that they would justify leaving
lots of people behind. But if they are not many, well...

Btw, one additional dependency that will be eliminated by moving to 1.4:
commons-codec.