Posted to dev@synapse.apache.org by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/03 07:24:57 UTC

Getting axis2 transport out from the kernel

Hi axis-devs,

We are getting ready for the Synapse 1.1 release and we faced to a problem
with the transports. Synapse is going to ship with the http-core transport
version 4.0-alpha6 and we have changed synapse transport module with the
improvements for that version (4.0-alpha6-SNAPSHOT) which is not compatible
with the current http-core version of axis2. But, because of the fact that
axis2-kernel carries the same classes inside the kernel jar some times we
are running in to class loading issues.

Can we get axis2 transports out of the axis2 kernel module and get a
1.3.0.1(or any point) release of axis2, so that we can depend on the
axis2-kernel
without transports. Is this possible?

Thanks,
Ruwan

--
Ruwan Linton

Re: Getting axis2 transport out from the kernel

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
+1 for moving it out of the kernel module. Transports are a plug point of
Axis2 and there's no need to consider any given transport as "core" to the
kernel.

Sanjiva.

--
Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.

Re: Getting axis2 transport out from the kernel

Posted by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.
Ajith Ranabahu wrote:
> I have to agree to Srinath on this. If we are going to move the
> transports out, it *must* be done via a major release and no question
> about it.
Well , I too have to agree with you. :)

Thanks
Deepal

Re: Getting axis2 transport out from the kernel

Posted by Ajith Ranabahu <aj...@gmail.com>.
I have to agree to Srinath on this. If we are going to move the
transports out, it *must* be done via a major release and no question
about it.
And I see no harm in putting your own transport - even if it wraps a
similar transport the core carries right now.

Ajith

On 10/4/07, Srinath Perera <he...@gmail.com> wrote:
> IMO defining your own transport is the right way to do it, when Axis2
> is being designed, it is designed to be pluggable so we can do this
> kind of things.
>
> If we need to move tranports out of Axis2 kernel, I belive it is a
> seperate discussion and I do not belive above use case is
> justification for doing that (As it can easily achived via
> configuration).
>
> On the other hand it must be done in a major relase, if it is to be done.
>
> Thanks
> Srinath
>
> On 10/4/07, Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hhmmm...
> >
> > I don't think it is impossible, but at the same time, IMO it is not the
> > right thing to do? (although that will solve the problem).
> >
> > I think it is nice to abstract out the transports from the kernel, even for
> > axis2. That will modularize the things, so that one can write an axis2
> > transport and plug it with the axis2 kernel (I mean as a replacement of the
> > existing axis2 transport, I know the same applies here as well and you can
> > change the axis2.xml to pick that :D)
> >
> > If this is a hard task for axis2, then we will try to get rid of this (may
> > be with renaming the transport classes and putting that in to the axis2.xml)
> >
> > Asankha, WDYT?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ruwan
> >

> > On 10/4/07, Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Ruwan, Asankha,
> > >
> > > Actually I was also wondering about the same?
> > > Isn't that possible ??
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Rajith

> > into

> > issues
> > axis2-kernel's

> > org.apache.http.RequestLine.getHttpVersion ()
> > the

> > the
> > run

> > time we

> > --
> >
> > Ruwan Linton
> > http://www.wso2.org - "Oxygenating the Web Services Platform"
>

> --
> ============================
> Srinath Perera:
>    Indiana University, Bloomington
>    http://www.cs.indiana.edu/~hperera/
>    http://www.bloglines.com/blog/hemapani
>
> Beauty of style and harmony and grace and good rhythm depend on
> simplicity -- Plato

Ajith Ranabahu

Reading, after a certain age, diverts the mind too much from its
creative pursuits. Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain
too little falls into lazy habits of thinking - Albert Einstein

Re: Getting axis2 transport out from the kernel

Posted by Thilina Gunarathne <cs...@gmail.com>.
> IMO defining your own transport is the right way to do it,
+1.. Having been able to specify transport implementation from the
axis2.xml is the right way of making it pluggable and we need to
follow that... IMHO using the classpath, replacing the jar files and
making the classes with same name to do different things is not the
way we should go.. This also can give rise to all sorts of
maintainability pains..

> If we need to move tranports out of Axis2 kernel, I belive it is a
> seperate discussion and I do not belive above use case is
> justification for doing that (As it can easily achived via
> configuration).
+1.. I also strongly agree with what Chinthaka have said in his earlier mail.
IMHO living with transports been in the kernel is better than loosing
backward compatibility and giving users a hard time to upgrade.

thanks,
Thilina

Thilina Gunarathne  - http://thilinag.blogspot.com

Re: Getting axis2 transport out from the kernel

Posted by Thilina Gunarathne <cs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Srinath Perera <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Srinath Perera <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hhmmm...

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hhmmm...

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
Ruwan, Asankha,

Posted by Srinath Perera <he...@gmail.com>.
Can't we do this?

Posted by Srinath Perera <he...@gmail.com>.
Can't we do this?

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@wso2.com>.

Posted by David Illsley <da...@gmail.com>.
While I appreciate it's not what you're asking for, would an Axis2
release depending on -alpha6 provide what you need? If the API changes
are reasonably small, that might be a simpler way to go for Axis2 for
a point release.
David

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
After understanding the impact and the flexibility, now I am also +1 for the
change.

Rajith Attapattu
Red Hat Canada.

Posted by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Deepal jayasinghe <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.

Re: Getting axis2 transport out from the kernel

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Posted by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk>.