Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/23 19:59:46 UTC

[crypto] Dist Build

i dislike the way that the dist target works in the crypto (copied
from mailet-api build). IMO a source distribution should be created by
an svn export and then hand rolled. this ensures that the source is
exactly what's in version control and so give better replicatability.
i would prefer the dist target to create simple binary compressed
artifacts containing generated site documentation and jar. this would
be a break from tradition.

opinions?

-robert

Re: [crypto] Dist Build

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> i dislike the way that the dist target works in the crypto (copied
> from mailet-api build). IMO a source distribution should be created by
> an svn export and then hand rolled. this ensures that the source is
> exactly what's in version control and so give better replicatability.

I prefer the maven2 way that build, sign, upload every package you want
to release (source, binary and other).
Creating source packages using a tool allow us to run checks (e.g: rat)
in the release process and this give much more quality. If the tool is
good the replicatability is done by creating a source package that is
almost identical to the svn export.

That said, I'm not against using svn export as long as I'm not the
release manager ;-)

> i would prefer the dist target to create simple binary compressed
> artifacts containing generated site documentation and jar. this would
> be a break from tradition.

About the tradition of including the generated website or generated
javadocs in the sources distribution I never liked it.
IMO the website should be online and the javadocs should be in an
additional released package.

Stefano

Re: [crypto] Dist Build

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 8:03 PM, Bernd Fondermann
<be...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 7:59 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
>  <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > i dislike the way that the dist target works in the crypto (copied
>  >  from mailet-api build). IMO a source distribution should be created by
>  >  an svn export and then hand rolled.
>
>  +1, as long as it works automatically :-)
>  clean checkout, ok. but what do you mean by hand-rolled?

i type:

% svn export http://apache/foo
% tar czvf  foo apache-foo-src.tar.gz
% zip -R  foo apache-foo-src.tar.gz

automatics have a long history of not quite working. maven 2 now works
but it was a long struggle...

>  > this ensures that the source is
>  >  exactly what's in version control and so give better replicatability.
>  >  i would prefer the dist target to create simple binary compressed
>  >  artifacts containing generated site documentation and jar. this would
>  >  be a break from tradition.
>
>  is it? what would be missing?

a lot of stuff which IMHO isn't needed

JAMES prefers to copy stuff from the working checkout into dist and
then creates source and binary distributions in dist/product/downloads

i prefer just to create binary distributions directly in dist and
create source distributions by hand

- robert

Re: [crypto] Dist Build

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
<ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> i dislike the way that the dist target works in the crypto (copied
>  from mailet-api build). IMO a source distribution should be created by
>  an svn export and then hand rolled.

+1, as long as it works automatically :-)
clean checkout, ok. but what do you mean by hand-rolled?

> this ensures that the source is
>  exactly what's in version control and so give better replicatability.
>  i would prefer the dist target to create simple binary compressed
>  artifacts containing generated site documentation and jar. this would
>  be a break from tradition.

is it? what would be missing?
Probably I am too tired right now to be able to follow you.

  Bernd