Posted to dev@logging.apache.org by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> on 2018/07/10 23:31:06 UTC

Self documenting Loggers

At work, we have tons of loggers, mostly based on class names, with also
some general purpose loggers.

We have had different UIs over the years to deal with configuration but one
thing we have never had is the description of what a logger does.

What do you think of being able to say things like:

LogManager.getLogger("com.example.foo", "Logs foos on sunny days.")

It would then be handy to ask a logger context to describe itself, which a
server could then send to a client to help fiddle loggers for dynamic
debugging.

Thoughts?

Gary

Re: Self documenting Loggers

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
My guess is that 99.9% of the time you would get back the same value as the logger name.

Ralph