Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Greg <my...@midsouth.rr.com> on 2004/01/22 03:30:54 UTC

[users@httpd] Virtual Host Error

I've read many threads and a few Apache web pages on setting up Virtual
Hosts. I'm guessing something just isn't playing right.

Here's the error I saw in the error_log after restarting Apache:

[warn] NameVirtualHost *:80 has no VirtualHosts

Someone said that if we use *:80, to have our own server/domain listed
first so I did that.  Here's what I have in the Vhosts.conf:

################# Named VirtualHosts
NameVirtualHost *:80
<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName www.myserver.com
TransferLog /etc/httpd/logs/transfer_log
#ServerPath /domain
DocumentRoot /var/www/html
</VirtualHost>

# NameVirtualHost 214.23.17.10:80
<VirtualHost 214.23.17.10:80>
        ServerAdmin admin@myserver.com
        ServerName www.1171.com
        ErrorLog /var/www/html/domains/1171/error_log
        TransferLog /var/www/html/domains/1171/transfer_log
#ServerPath /domain
        DocumentRoot /var/www/html/domains/1171/PN726/html
        Options ExecCgi FollowSymlinks
</VirtualHost>

What is it that I'm not following?  It's a registered domain name with a
static IP assigned to me along with 4 others.  I just now did the DNS
update so it's populating, but I'm getting an error (above) and it's
telling me I don't have any virtual hosts defined.

Thanks for the help.
Greg

RE: [users@httpd] Virtual Host Error

Posted by Chris <ch...@leftbrained.org>.
If you only want www.1171.com to be hosted from 214.23.17.10:80, and
www.myserver.com to handle all other requests the directives you gave us
should do what you want.

It seems like Apache isn't reading those directives. Vhosts.conf doesn't
come standard with Apache, did you check to see it's being included
properly?

Do you have any Listen directives defined? If you do, that's all Apache will
listen on and could conceivably be giving you problems

Chris

Posted by Greg <my...@midsouth.rr.com>.

Posted by Mike <fm...@earthlink.net>.

I looked at my config which has 2 virtual hosts. The pattern I use follows:

NameVirtualHost YourServerIpAddress:80
NameVirtualHost YourServerIpAddress:8080

<VirtualHost YourServerIpAddress:80>
    ServerName domain1.com
    ServerAlias *.domain1.com
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost YourServerIpAddress:80>
    ServerName domain2.com
    ServerAlias *.domain2.com
</VirtualHost>

Note that the www is not added to the server name. I don't know if that is
your problem.

Mike