Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by To...@sita.aero on 2007/02/14 18:57:14 UTC

FSFS - File Size

Hello Users -

I'm trying to determine the "best practice"  or the maximum file size when
using FSFS repository for my project(s) migration from
CVS to SVN. I have several projects that contain 3 meg lines of code with
several domains of 100k lines of code and other projects
that contain (.)5 meg lines of code with domains 1k lines of code.

What is the maximum file size that can be used in a project using FSFS
repositiory?

Thanks in advance.

Tom Nichols

This document is strictly confidential and intended only for use by the addressee unless otherwise stated.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete it from your system.

Re: FSFS - File Size

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 2/14/07, Tom.Nichols@sita.aero <To...@sita.aero> wrote:

> Hello Users -
>
> I'm trying to determine the "best practice"  or the maximum file size when
> using FSFS repository for my project(s) migration from
> CVS to SVN. I have several projects that contain 3 meg lines of code with
> several domains of 100k lines of code and other projects
> that contain (.)5 meg lines of code with domains 1k lines of code.
>
> What is the maximum file size that can be used in a project using FSFS
> repositiory?

"Lines of code" isn't really a relevant measure here, it's about how many bytes.

I think you're limited primary by the filesystem the repository
resides on, and possibly by the amount of RAM in the server and
certain versions of APR. Regardless, your files are probably file -
I've got a lot of multi-megabyte files in my repository and haven't
had a hint of trouble.

Re: FSFS - File Size

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Feb 15, 2007, at 23:08, Eric wrote:

> At 04:17 PM 2/14/2007, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
> >Subversion does not have a max file size, it has a max revision size.
> >The max revision size if you are using APR 0.9.x is 2 GiB. If you're
> >using APR 1.2.x, then the max revision size will probably never be a
> >concern to you because it's so huge.
>
> Good evening, Ryan.
>
> How can I tell which APR I have?  Is there a command like "APR --
> version" that will tell me?

I'm not sure. Let me see...

On my Mac I can do this:

$ /opt/local/bin/apr-1-config --version

And for me it says:

1.2.8

If you have APR 0.9.x, it may be called apr-0-config instead...

Re: FSFS - File Size

Posted by Eric <sp...@scoot.netis.com>.

Re: FSFS - File Size

Posted by eg <eg...@gmail.com>.
Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Feb 14, 2007, at 12:57, Tom Nichols wrote:
>

>> What is the maximum file size that can be used in a project using FSFS
>> repositiory?
>
> Subversion does not have a max file size, it has a max revision size.
> The max revision size if you are using APR 0.9.x is 2 GiB. If you're
> using APR 1.2.x, then the max revision size will probably never be a
> concern to you because it's so huge.

I vaguely recall performance issues as a function of revision size...
which is an independent but related issue.

Does that ring a bell?

Re: FSFS - File Size

Posted by eg <eg...@gmail.com>.
Jared Hardy wrote:
> On 2/14/07, Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com> wrote:
>> Subversion does not have a max file size, it has a max revision size.
>> The max revision size if you are using APR 0.9.x is 2 GiB. If you're
>> using APR 1.2.x, then the max revision size will probably never be a
>> concern to you because it's so huge.
>
> Isn't the revision size still limited by the maximum file size of the
> server's file system? In the case of Win32, I think that's 4GB. This
> may seem like a high limit, but it still creates a limiting factor for
> large repositories with lots of large binary files (we have a lot of
> 3D art in our repository, for example). We use Linux servers, but as
> we move to local repositories on artist workstations via SVK, this is
> becoming an issue. It seems like splitting large revision files, and
> streaming them together when read would be a "simple" fix.

Just to be clear... we are making a distinction between revision size
and repository size.

Each revision (as encoded/represented by Subversion) in the repository
is limited by the single file size limit you speak of when using FsFs.
The repository consists of the sum total of all revisions.

Re: FSFS - File Size

Posted by Kevin Greiner <gr...@gmail.com>.
On 2/14/07, Jared Hardy <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Isn't the revision size still limited by the maximum file size of the
> server's file system? In the case of Win32, I think that's 4GB. This
> may seem like a high limit, but it still creates a limiting factor for
> large repositories with lots of large binary files (we have a lot of
> 3D art in our repository, for example). We use Linux servers, but as
> we move to local repositories on artist workstations via SVK, this is
> becoming an issue. It seems like splitting large revision files, and
> streaming them together when read would be a "simple" fix.

Not sure about FAT but the max file size on NTFS is much much larger than
4GB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS says "16
TiB<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tebibyte>with current implementation
(16
EiB <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exbibyte> architecturally)" which sounds
big enough for my foreseeable needs.

Re: FSFS - File Size

Posted by Jared Hardy <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 2/14/07, Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com> wrote:
> Subversion does not have a max file size, it has a max revision size.
> The max revision size if you are using APR 0.9.x is 2 GiB. If you're
> using APR 1.2.x, then the max revision size will probably never be a
> concern to you because it's so huge.

Isn't the revision size still limited by the maximum file size of the
server's file system? In the case of Win32, I think that's 4GB. This
may seem like a high limit, but it still creates a limiting factor for
large repositories with lots of large binary files (we have a lot of
3D art in our repository, for example). We use Linux servers, but as
we move to local repositories on artist workstations via SVK, this is
becoming an issue. It seems like splitting large revision files, and
streaming them together when read would be a "simple" fix.

Jared

Re: FSFS - File Size

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.