Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Brad Balmer <bb...@peapod.com> on 2004/02/22 01:18:03 UTC

Integrating a menu system with a struts application

I know about using struts-menu since it seems to be the only menu system
talked about on this forum.  Before I start down a path, I was wondering
if anybody else has used another menu system successfully within a
struts application other than struts-menu?

I was looking into xmenu/xlayser
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/xmenu-xlayer) which doesn't seem too bad.

Any ideas/advice?

Thanks

Re: Integrating a menu system with a struts application

Posted by A3T <a3...@bk.ru>.
Hello All.

Long ago I have one question about Struts Menu: it's support highlight
of menu items (example if user in news page then news menu item
selected)?

--
Best regards,
 A3T                            mailto:a3t@bk.ru

Re: Integrating a menu system with a struts application

Posted by Carl <mu...@altern.org>.
I am using struts-menu and fill happy with it. I've just take a look at
the xmenu/xplayer you mentionned. It seems that xmenu just display a
menu and depends on DHTM/javascript :-(.

Struts-menu, however manage the menu fonctionnality :
- display the menu
- manager rights on menu items (with role or custom rights mamngement)
- integrate well with struts.
- is fully custumizable (you can subclass/implement PermissionAdapter
and MenuDisplayer)

So if I except the issue of DHTM and javascript of xmenu, I will say
that it depends on your needs. If you just need to display a simple menu
  in a small web app, xmenu seems OK. However if you need to custumize
the display and to display only valid element (according to loogged
user's rights), I would suggest struts-menu.

BTW, you can use xmenu to display struts menu simply by writing your
MenuDisplayer and benefit, in addintion to the L&F of xmenu, the struts
integration and rights managment of struts menu. I will probably do this
for my projects ;-) May be you could suggest to the struts manu
developpers to add such  displayer to struts-menu.

That's just my opinion, I'm currious too to see if there are other
(real) alternative to struts-menu.

Carl