Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Adam Mlodzinski <Ad...@quest.com> on 2010/12/31 04:09:32 UTC

[daemon] Update procrun.html with 64-bit registry details

Hi there, this is my first post to the Apache Commons mailing list.

I noticed today that tomcat5.exe stores details of services in a different place on 64-bit Windows compared to 32-bit Windows.

The tail of http://commons.apache.org/daemon/procrun.html describes the location used on 32-bit Windows. It seems this document needs to be updated to reflect the location used on 64-bit Windows.

--
Adam M.

Re: [daemon] Procrun registry lookups

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
On 01/13/2011 06:49 PM, Adam Mlodzinski wrote:

> I suppose the 32-bit builds would have to use the 32-bit dlls, hence the 32-bit registry location, while 64-bit procrun would have to use 64-bit jvm.dll, hence the 64-bit location. Is that correct?

Yes. No translation is done for detecting the JVM.

However currently, this might create problems at install time
if the 64 and 32 Java keys are out of sync (but I'm working on it)

Regards
--
^TM

[daemon] Procrun registry lookups

Posted by Adam Mlodzinski <Ad...@quest.com>.
I have another question about 64-bit vs. 32-bit registry locations and procrun.exe.

Which location (plain, or Wow6432Node) is used for auto jvm lookups? The 64-bit Windows server I'm looking at right now has "Java Development Kit" and "Java Runtime Environment" under the 32-bit location, but it also has "Java Runtime Environment" under the plain (64-bit?) location.

Re: [daemon] Update procrun.html with 64-bit registry details

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
On 01/12/2011 11:11 PM, Adam Mlodzinski wrote:
> Bump - I'm just looking for clarification.
>

>> From: Adam Mlodzinski [mailto:Adam.Mlodzinski@quest.com]
>>
>>> From: Mladen Turk [mailto:mturk@apache.org]

>>> They use the same 32-bit location (Wow6432Node) regardless if you run
>>> a 32 or 64 bit version of procrun (tomcat5.exe).
>
> So, are you saying that a 32-bit build of tomcat5.exe will use one location (not Wow6432Node) on a 32-bit machine, but will use a different location (Wow6432Node) when run on a 64-bit machine? The .exe detects its platform and chooses the registry path accordingly?

Yes.
Regardless of tomcat5.exe version (32 or 64 bit) on 64-bit windows
they will always use the 32-bit registry.
This allows to have the same configuration if you wish to
run 32 or 64 bit JVM and to have a single 32-bit tomcat5w.exe for management.
Further more we don't need the installers to be aware of 64-bit
environment.

Regards
--
^TM

RE: [daemon] Update procrun.html with 64-bit registry details

Posted by Adam Mlodzinski <Ad...@quest.com>.

Posted by Adam Mlodzinski <Ad...@quest.com>.

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.