Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by JB...@harland.net on 2005/11/15 16:11:00 UTC

Security not on, so why do I get an AccessControlException?

It is my understanding that when you start Tomcat (version 5.0.28
customized for Liferay portal) from the command line (Windows XP Pro) via
the startup.bat with no parameters you do not have security turned on.  In
order to use catalina.policy I would have to run "startup -security"  Since
I'm not doing that I'm confused on why the following message is showing up:

15:04:16,180 ERROR [org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteConnector] Protocol JMX
registration failed
java.security.AccessControlException: Access denied
(mx4j.server.MBeanTrustPermission register): MBean class
org.apache.commons.modeler.BaseModelMBean is not trusted for registration
        at
mx4j.server.interceptor.SecurityMBeanServerInterceptor.checkTrustRegistration(SecurityMBeanServerInterceptor.java:156)
        at
mx4j.server.interceptor.SecurityMBeanServerInterceptor.registration(SecurityMBeanServerInterceptor.java:116)
        at
mx4j.server.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.registration(DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.java:113)
        at
mx4j.server.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.registration(DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.java:113)
        at
mx4j.server.interceptor.ContextClassLoaderMBeanServerInterceptor.registration(ContextClassLoaderMBeanServerInterceptor.java:108)
        at
mx4j.server.MBeanServerImpl.registerImpl(MBeanServerImpl.java:1051)
        at
mx4j.server.MBeanServerImpl.registerMBeanImpl(MBeanServerImpl.java:1002)
        at
mx4j.server.MBeanServerImpl.registerMBean(MBeanServerImpl.java:978)
        at
org.apache.commons.modeler.Registry.registerComponent(Registry.java:871)
        at
org.apache.commons.modeler.Registry.registerComponent(Registry.java:346)
        at
org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteConnector.start(CoyoteConnector.java:1539)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:489)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:2313)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:556)
        at
        at
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:287)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:425)
15:04:16,180 INFO  [org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina] Server startup in
22094 ms

This happens when I attempt to add a portlet that requires an EJB from
WebLogic.  I can add and run other portlets without causing the error.

I have tried running with security and received the same error.

Also tried to create a policy called wideopen.policy that contains the
following:

grant {
      // Allow everything for now
      permission java.security.AllPermission;
};

Then changed the catalina.bat to use wideopen.policy instead of
catalina.policy.  Still I end up with the same error.

Please help me understand what is happening

Thanks,

jb
The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and is privileged and confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to others.  Any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication other than to the person or entity named above is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please immediately delete it from your system.

Re: Security not on, so why do I get an AccessControlException?

Posted by JB...@harland.net.
Can anyone help me with this?

If not what other information is needed to understand what is going on?

Thanks,

jb

             JBorn@harland.net

             AM                        users@tomcat.apache.org
                                                                        cc

               "Tomcat Users           Security not on, so why do I get an
                   List"               AccessControlException?
             <users@tomcat.apa
                 che.org>