Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by David Shere <ds...@steelerubber.com> on 2007/01/17 17:08:07 UTC

Training Videos

I'm trying to watch the Apache OFBiz Advanced Framework Training videos
on my Ubuntu 6.10 computer.  I've installed every movie player, codec
package, and whiz-bang "This packaged does the trick" package I can get
my hands on.  No dice.  I'm unable to find any specific package that
says that it plays or decodes or whiz-bangs the H264 encoding.

I suppose I have several options:
1.  Break down and read the transcripts (boring)
2.  Bug Walter again to get me a Mac (unlikely)
3.  Watch these on a Windows machine (blasphemous)
4.  Beg for help here (easiest)

--
David Shere
Steele Rubber Products

Re: Training Videos

Posted by Annie Duke <ur...@yahoo.com>.
I also use the VLC player.
And its really great to use VLC.

Annie Duke

"David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com> wrote:
Yeah, VLC is a great app for playing these and other videos. Mplayer
seems to work sometimes for not as consistently, and I haven't tried
it with these videos.

Even on the Mac I actually use VLC because it supports a lot of
things that Quicktime does not, like 5.1 channel AC3 sound, which is
really funny since Apple is trying to sell movies on-line, but with
stereo sound only...

-David

On Jan 17, 2007, at 10:56 AM, Ray Barlow wrote:

> You might find more info in the recent mailing list history as it came
> up not long ago. But it summary it works for me running Edgy on a
> laptop
> and they play fine for me using VLC Media player.
>
> Ray
>

> David Shere wrote:
>> I'm trying to watch the Apache OFBiz Advanced Framework Training
>> videos on my Ubuntu 6.10 computer.  I've installed every movie
>> player,
>> codec package, and whiz-bang "This packaged does the trick" package I
>> can get my hands on.  No dice.  I'm unable to find any specific
>> package that says that it plays or decodes or whiz-bangs the H264
>> encoding.
>>
>> I suppose I have several options:
>> 1.  Break down and read the transcripts (boring)
>> 2.  Bug Walter again to get me a Mac (unlikely)
>> 3.  Watch these on a Windows machine (blasphemous)
>> 4.  Beg for help here (easiest)

---------------------------------
The fish are biting.

Re: Training Videos

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Re: Training Videos

Posted by Ray Barlow <ra...@makeyour-point.com>.

Re: Training Videos

Posted by Walter Vaughan <wv...@steelerubber.com>.
David Shere wrote:

> I'm trying to watch the Apache OFBiz Advanced Framework Training videos
> on my Ubuntu 6.10 computer.  I've installed every movie player, codec
> package, and whiz-bang "This packaged does the trick" package I can get
> my hands on.
[snip]
> I suppose I have several options:
> 2.  Bug Walter again to get me a Mac (unlikely)
Bwah, ha, ha, ha.
> 4.  Beg for help here (easiest)

I tried the files on my Xubuntu 6.10 laptop this evening, and I got same results
as David was getting. It runs for a second of audio and quits under Xine and
Totem. However I then installed via Synaptic "mplayer, mplayer-fonts, and
mplayer-skins" (I searched for mplayer).

I then got a better error message...
Error opening/initalizing the selected video_out (-vo) driver

I then googled that message and it lead me to
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/faq.html#id2540104

...which had me edit ~/.mplayer/gui.conf
and I changed the vo_driver to "x11"

...and wa-la I hear the wonderful voice of David Jones AND can see that
beautiful Apple display in action. Probably same kind of error was happening
with other movie players, but who knows where they were being logged.

So for the archives, here's a proceedure to view training videos on Unbuntu 6.10.

Re: Training Videos

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.
I had this problem on my Ubuntu 6.10. I used service mix to download the
required codecs/plug-ins and now it work fine with Mplayer and VLC Media
Player.

Which player you are using?

Thanks,

Raj