Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Li Mingyang <e0...@u.nus.edu> on 2021/07/19 12:39:25 UTC

Hope to join the Airflow community to develop the support of Alibaba Cloud

Dear Manager,

Thanks for reading my letter!

I am now working in the Alibaba company.

I am the new of Airflow but after two-days learning I found it really power.

I saw it has support of AWS and Google Cloud but doesn’t have the Alibaba Cloud support.
So I wanna do that stuff and really hope to join the Airflow community.

Hope to get your reply.

Best wishes

Mingyang

Re: Hope to join the Airflow community to develop the support of Alibaba Cloud

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.
Cool!

--
+48 660 796 129

Re: Hope to join the Airflow community to develop the support of Alibaba Cloud

Posted by Gabriel Lee <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mingyang,

Posted by Leah Cole <co...@google.com.INVALID>.
Welcome Mingyang! Agree with everything XD and Jarek said, and I also
suggest that if you want to start with something, start with whatever
aspect of Alibaba cloud you need most - you don't have to do it all at
once! Just the addition of integration with a single service can help, and
it's best to start with what you know/need.

On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 6:13 AM Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com> wrote:

> Yeah, and regarding groups/community - here you will find all the links
> https://airflow.apache.org/community/ so you can start there.
>
> Agree with XD - some critical mass should be reached with people who can
> test it with Alibaba as I think currently we are not really familiar here I
> am afraid.
>
> After you join slack - I just created a channel in slack #airflow-alibaba
> (similar to #airlfow-gcp, #airflow-aws) - I think your best bet is to query
> there and ask people if they will be able to join it and start some
> discussion/work.
>
> J.
>
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 3:07 PM Xiaodong Deng <xd...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Mingyang,
>>
>> A NUS alumni here :)
>> Thanks for your interest in contributing to Airflow.
>>
>> What I would suggest are (and I guess most folks would suggest similarly):
>>
>>    - Read the documentation to get yourself started, including the
>>    Airflow's doc & the doc for Contributors (Contributor's Quick Guide
>>    <https://github.com/apache/airflow/blob/main/CONTRIBUTORS_QUICK_START.rst>).
>>    These docs help you know the practices the community is adopting, and how
>>    you can make it easier for people to review your PRs.
>>    - Given the topic you are interested in is quite specific, as you
>>    have already pointed out, you have existing AWS and GCP providers as nice
>>    examples (Amazon Provider package
>>    <https://airflow.apache.org/docs/apache-airflow-providers-amazon/stable/index.html>,
>>    GCP Provider package
>>    <https://airflow.apache.org/docs/apache-airflow-providers-google/stable/index.html>).
>>    Source code, IMHO, is the best textbook/guide if you want to make code
>>    contributions.
>>

>> A "difficulty" I can foresee is: such providers are literally "wrappers"
>> around the Cloud Service API. I'm not sure how many people are familiar
>> enough with the Alibaba Cloud API. You will need to make a bit
>> more effort to provide the correct resource (like documentation links) in
>> your PRs, I believe.
>>

>> Regards,
>> XD
>>

>> On Mon, Jul 19, 2021 at 2:49 PM Li Mingyang <e0...@u.nus.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> I think I need some support and knowledge because I think my ability
>>> cannot achieve this goal. Is there any group or community to join? Maybe I
>>> need some help...
>>>
>>> 2021年7月19日 下午8:42,Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com> 写道:
>>>
>>>   - External Email -
>>>
>>> There are no managers here. Airflow is developed by the community. If
>>> you wish to add Alibaba provider - feel free to make PRs to do that.
>>>
>>> J.

>>> --
>>> +48 660 796 129 <+48%20660%20796%20129>
>>>

> --
> +48 660 796 129 <+48%20660%20796%20129>

--

Leah Cole (she/her) | Developer Programs Engineer | coleleah@google.com | +1
(925) 257-2112

Re: Hope to join the Airflow community to develop the support of Alibaba Cloud

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.

--
+48 660 796 129

Re: Hope to join the Airflow community to develop the support of Alibaba Cloud

Posted by Xiaodong Deng <xd...@apache.org>.
Hi Mingyang,

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.

--