Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by jc...@yahoo.com on 2008/08/27 21:55:59 UTC

Nant version of Ivy

Is there any ongoing effort to produce a .NET/NAnt version of Ivy?  (I suppose this would be "NIvy".)

I find myself wondering if this can be easily done by using IKVM to convert the
Ivy bytecode to IL along with NAnt based clones of the Ivy Ant tasks.

Any guidance on the most practical/expedient approach?  Any rough estimation of effort?  I'm guessing this is only a week or two of work if IKVM works smoothly, but I don't really know.

Is there any interest by Ant committers to adopt such a product if I took the time to author it?  If so, any guidance on how to ensure it would be adopted?  I assume some amount of simple automated integration/smoke tests would need to be created.

Thanks for your time and effort spent responding to this post.

IKM site: http://www.ikvm.net/

P.S.: I am considering either a Nant/msbuild/Ivy or an NMaven based build solution for a rather large componetized C# build.  Unfortunately, both solutions looks like they will involve a great deal of bloodletting.  Is there another/better choice for obtaining proper dependency and build artifact management of C# code?  Without such features I'm not sure how to maintain manageablity of a large build process.

AW: Nant version of Ivy

Posted by Ja...@rzf.fin-nrw.de.
> I'm familiar enough with the .NET platform to give an
> opinion. But what
> would be the advantage of such a version? Is having a jvm on the build
> machine really the issue?

Maybe for clarification: Ivy doesnt handle JARs - it handles "artifacts"
which could be
every kind of file ...

Jan

Re: Nant version of Ivy

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 9:55 PM, <jc...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is there any ongoing effort to produce a .NET/NAnt version of Ivy?  (I
> suppose this would be "NIvy".)

I don't think so.

> I find myself wondering if this can be easily done by using IKVM to convert
> the
> Ivy bytecode to IL along with NAnt based clones of the Ivy Ant tasks.
>
> Any guidance on the most practical/expedient approach?  Any rough
> estimation of effort?  I'm guessing this is only a week or two of work if
> IKVM works smoothly, but I don't really know.

I'm familiar enough with the .NET platform to give an opinion. But what
would be the advantage of such a version? Is having a jvm on the build
machine really the issue?

Xavier

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/

Re: Nant version of Ivy

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.
There is also a command line version of ivy :
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/latest-milestone/standalone.html

--
Gilles Scokart

Re: Nant version of Ivy

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 6:35 PM, <jc...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Not being terribly familar with Ivy, I am assuming there are times when the
> Ivy ant tasks set ant properties which are then referenced elsewhere in the
> build file.  If a NAnt build calls ivy as an external process, how would
> such information be easily communicated?  (Lots of less elegant options come
> to mind, but they all seem a bit awkward.)
>
> The above is based on the assumption that typical ivy ant task usage in a
> non-trivial build results in communication between tasks via properties.  Is
> this assumption valid?
> Does such communication (if any) involve references or just value types?
> Value types are obviously much simplier to communicate between processes.

Information is passed through references. But there isn't that much
information passed between tasks, and tasks themselves are only a thin layer
over Ivy core API. I don't know how it fits in a .Net build though.

Xavier

> (I'm rapidly reaching the point where I need to take a much closer look at
> Ivy to avoid asking stupid questions.)
>
> Some responses suggest that requiring a jvm to be deployed as part of a
> .NET build is no big deal.  I completely agree on this.
>
> On a side note, according to its website IKVM can be used to convert java
> libraries to .NET assemblies.  Therefore a .NET version of Ivy (or any other
> library) created by IKVM will not require IKVM to be deployed, although
> surely there are some IKVM assemblies which will need to be available.
> (Just as with the jvm, I don't think it would be a huge deal if it needed to
> be.)

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/