Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> on 2007/10/09 15:49:44 UTC

[site] Mirrored downloads page available for testing

There is a new download page is ready for you to take a look at and test.

  http://harmony.apache.org/download.cgi

I removed the M1 and M2 builds, since they are not ones that we are
encouraging people to use, and I added the M3 source and Debian download
links.  The idea is to move M1 and M2 into the archive.

It will take a while for the mirrors to catch up with M3, so a number of
them may not have the download files available yet.  I tested it with
reverse.net which has synchronized already.  The checksum files must not
be mirrored, so they still come from www.apache.org.

The snapshots are still residing on people.apache.org.  I hope these are
low traffic downloads since they are not so well tested.

Please shout if there is a problem or improvement you can see, otherwise
I intend to switch over to the new download page tomorrow, and will
retire the old one with a redirect to keep any links to it happy.

Regards,
Tim

Re: [site] Mirrored downloads page available for testing

Posted by Sean Qiu <se...@gmail.com>.
2007/10/10, Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>:

> Sian January wrote:
> > Thanks for doing this Tim.  The new page works for me with various UK
> > mirrors.  Are we able to get download statistics for M3 now we have
> google
> > analytics on the website?
>
> Analytics and the ASF server logs give us a bunch of information about
> the usage of pages on our website, and the number of downloads etc.
> However, now we have switched to the mirrors we actually can't tell if
> people completed a download from a mirror site, only that they went to
> our download page and followed the links.
>
> One of the reasons we were asked to switch to using mirrors was to
> alleviate the load on the ASF servers (I understand we were getting
> about 100 milestone downloads per day in September), plus of course
> local mirrors make things quicker for our users.

100 per day, it's amazing, i think harmony will attract more and more java
developers in the near future.

Regards,

--
Sean Qiu
China Software Development Lab, IBM

Re: [site] Mirrored downloads page available for testing

Posted by Sian January <si...@googlemail.com>.
That's really interesting - I didn't realise Harmony had so many users!   I
would have thought it's fine to assume that the majority of people who
followed the link completed the download - I'm sure that's what other
projects do.

Thanks,

Sian

--
Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.

Re: [site] Mirrored downloads page available for testing

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sian January <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Nadya Morozova <na...@googlemail.com>.
Tim,