Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org> on 2019/12/30 18:57:37 UTC

Question about sample ApacheDS Docker images

Just read a blogpost:
https://dumisblog.wordpress.com/2019/12/30/run-apacheds-on-docker/

That made a statement:

"Unfortunately there are no official images in the Docker Hub for ApacheDS.”

A True statement?  I know we’ve apacheDS (and OpenLDAP) docker images.

https://hub.docker.com/u/apachedirectory/

There are few others there as well.  Not sure what they’re being used for.

Why not add one with a basic config… perhaps with the canonical test ldap data?

—
Shawn

Re: Question about sample ApacheDS Docker images

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Le lun. 6 janv. 2020 à 14:57, Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de> a
écrit :

> >> I'd say yes. And I assume (but please prove me wrong) that it's not
> >> possible at Apache to publish an "official" one, only a "convenience"
> >> image. But if we choose to go that way there are some open questions
> >> that need to be clarified, like:
> >> * The Docker images contain libraries that often are GPL licensed (GNU
> >> libs, OpenJDK, etc.). Is it allowed to publish such an "convenience"
> >> image?
> >
> > Clearly, no.
>
> Clear answer what was also expectation. However many projects publish
> Docker images at https://hub.docker.com/u/apache/, including Java based
> ones (like Nutch or Syncope) which include OpenJDK and other GPL libs.

They are not official ASF releases. Anyone of us can push an ApacheDS or
Fortress Dicker image on hub.docker.com, as soon as it’s not claiming to be
an official release.

> I'll check if I can find some policies around that..

Yes, that would be a good thing to check.
Thanks Stefan!
Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: Question about sample ApacheDS Docker images

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
On 06/01/2020 10:54, Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> On 12/30/19 7:57 PM, Shawn McKinney wrote:
>> Just read a blogpost:
>> https://dumisblog.wordpress.com/2019/12/30/run-apacheds-on-docker/
>>
>> That made a statement:
>>
>> "Unfortunately there are no official images in the Docker Hub for ApacheDS.”
>>
>> A True statement?  I know we’ve apacheDS (and OpenLDAP) docker images.
> I'd say yes. And I assume (but please prove me wrong) that it's not
> possible at Apache to publish an "official" one, only a "convenience"
> image. But if we choose to go that way there are some open questions
> that need to be clarified, like:
> * The Docker images contain libraries that often are GPL licensed (GNU
> libs, OpenJDK, etc.). Is it allowed to publish such an "convenience" image?

Clearly, no.

But we can provide a Dockerfile.

Re: Question about sample ApacheDS Docker images

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.
On 12/30/19 7:57 PM, Shawn McKinney wrote:
> Just read a blogpost:
> https://dumisblog.wordpress.com/2019/12/30/run-apacheds-on-docker/
>
> That made a statement:
>
> "Unfortunately there are no official images in the Docker Hub for ApacheDS.”
>
> A True statement?  I know we’ve apacheDS (and OpenLDAP) docker images.

I'd say yes. And I assume (but please prove me wrong) that it's not
possible at Apache to publish an "official" one, only a "convenience"
image. But if we choose to go that way there are some open questions
that need to be clarified, like:
* The Docker images contain libraries that often are GPL licensed (GNU
libs, OpenJDK, etc.). Is it allowed to publish such an "convenience" image?
* We need to define and decide on an update process. The base Docker
images are updated more frequently than we release (especially security
updates). Do we need to update the images (e.g. a security patch in
OpenJDK)? Is this a manual process with voting or can an automatic build
be setup?

> https://hub.docker.com/u/apachedirectory/

I created apachedirectory long time ago with the intention to use is for
testing only.

Meanwhile the ASF also allows to push Docker images to the "apache" repo
(https://hub.docker.com/u/apache/), but I don't know how that works and
what the preconditons are. If we consider to publish "convenience"
images I'd rather use that repo.

> There are few others there as well.  Not sure what they’re being used for.

The openldap-for-apache-fortress-tests and
apacheds-for-apache-fortress-tests are made especially for Fortress
integration tests, source [1].

maven-build (source [2]) is used in Jenkins pipeline builds of LDAP API,
server, and studio. They contain all build and test tools required.

xvfb and studio-build are outdated, they were used for building and
testing Studio. I try to delete them.

Kind Regards,
Stefan

[1] https://github.com/apache/directory-fortress-core/tree/master/src/docker
[2]
https://github.com/apache/directory-buildtools/tree/master/docker/maven-build

Re: Question about sample ApacheDS Docker images

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.
On 12/31/19 5:49 PM, Marc Boorshtein wrote:
>> And this is open for discussion… my view, to be ‘official’, needs to be
>> under the ‘apachedirectory’ repository, i.e. ASF supported.
>>

> I honestly find this isn't that important as long as you are getting the
> container from a reputable source.  I generally avoid personal repos but if
> a repo is from a company with experience in the space and some kind of
> support behind it (even if its just public open source) you're probably in
> good shape.  Some things to look for:
>
> 1.  Company supported - even if its just open source
> 2.  How often is it updated?  How often do you patch your VMs?  You want
> something that has a similar caedence.
> 3.  Is the dockerfile opensource?  You should know what code is running in
> your environment.
> 4.  Is the build reproducible?  Can you recreate the container with just
> the dockerfile?
> 5.  Is the container running as root?  Too many "official" containers do
> this.
>
> This is on top of doing your own scans to look for issues.
>
> As an example of where I skip "official" builds is if red hat provides a
> container I go with that because they keep them up to date and don't run as
> root.

Well, those companies could join the Open Source project and contribute
their expertise and make the official/convenient Docker image better :-)

>> More questions, how much work is this to maintain?  Does it need to
>> updated once per release (apacheds), or more often? What else… should the
>> image be signed?
>>

> Containers should be updated at least on a periodic cadence and better to
> be triggered by an event such as the from container being updated. We scan
> our containers using anchore.io and whenever a package is released to
> address a known cve, we rebuild.

+1

Re: Question about sample ApacheDS Docker images

Posted by Marc Boorshtein <mb...@gmail.com>.

> Thanks for weighing in.  This is cool.  I like that you separated the data
> from the image, and that you’ve externalized the keystore pw.  What kinds
> changes to make this suitable for production?

Since ApacheDS stores pretty much all of its configuration internally in
the directory its probably mostly a documentation project.  maybe injecting
additional environment variables to support replication?

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.
> On Dec 30, 2019, at 3:36 PM, Marc Boorshtein <mb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Dec 30, 2019, 1:57 PM Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org> wrote:
> Just read a blogpost:
> https://dumisblog.wordpress.com/2019/12/30/run-apacheds-on-docker/
> That made a statement:
> "Unfortunately there are no official images in the Docker Hub for ApacheDS.”
>
> Not an "official" image but we maintain https://hub.docker.com/repository/docker/tremolosecurity/apacheds primarily for testing purposes but could easily be adapted for production use. We push a rebuild whenever there's a patched package for the underlying Ubuntu os available so the container is updated at least monthly. Source for the build - https://github.com/TremoloSecurity/apacheds

Marc,

Posted by Marc Boorshtein <mb...@gmail.com>.