Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by Naveen <na...@gmail.com> on 2018/11/29 09:39:31 UTC

Effective way to pre-load data around 10 TB

HI

We are using Ignite 2.6.

AS we already know, after the cluster restart, every GET call gets data from
DISK for the first time and loads into RAM and subsequent calls data will
read from RAM only..
First time GET calls are 10 times slower than read from RAM, which we wanted
to avoid by pre-loading the entire data into RAM after the cluster restart.

So here am exploring efficient ways to read entire data once so that it will
pre-load the data into RAM, so GET calls from client will be much faster.

Running ScanQuery on all the partitions of the cache would be good way to
read data very fast in very less time ? OR any other better ways of
achieving the same

Thanks
Naveen

RE: Effective way to pre-load data around 10 TB

Posted by Stanislav Lukyanov <st...@gmail.com>.
The problem might be in HDD not performing fast enough, and also suffering from random reads
(IgniteCache::preloadPartition at least tries to read sequentially).

Also, do you have enough RAM to store all data? If not, you shouldn’t preload all the data, just the amount that fits into RAM.

Anyway, I think that your best chance is to implement the same thing https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-8873 does.
E.g. you can try to backport the commit on top of 2.6.

Stan

Posted by Stanislav Lukyanov <st...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Currently the best option is IgniteCache::preloadPartition method added in
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-8873.

There is a JIRA ticket to allow pre-loading data before the node joins the cluster:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-10152.

Stan