Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Matisse Enzer <ma...@hamparts.com> on 2003/10/14 22:35:23 UTC

mod_perl 2 - Contributing to documentation

At 11:51 AM -0700 10/14/03, Stas Bekman wrote:

>And if you have learned something on this list that is not
>documented, documented but can't be found easily, remember that
>patches are very welcome. If everyone who was helped here had
>contributed back a doc patch, the docs would be in a much better
>state.

I will start doing that.

If I wanted to add an entry for   $r->filename   would I modify
RequestUtil.pod.orig and send the modified document to the docs-dev
mailing list?
Matisse Enzer
Doodlelab Inc.
415-925-5294 ext. 212 (office)
415-225-6703 (mobile)

Re: mod_perl 2 - Contributing to documentation

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Matisse Enzer wrote:
> At 11:51 AM -0700 10/14/03, Stas Bekman wrote:
>

>> And if you have learned something on this list that is not documented,
>> documented but can't be found easily, remember that patches are very
>> welcome. If everyone who was helped here had contributed back a doc
>> patch, the docs would be in a much better state.
>

> I will start doing that.

Thanks Matisse

> If I wanted to add an entry for   $r->filename   would I modify
> RequestUtil.pod.orig and send the modified document to the docs-dev
> mailing list?

If you do that once it'll work, though it might be out of sync with the latest
version (the online version is synced every 6 hours).

But in the long run, we have a cvs repository for docs. So when you patch
something it's the best to send the patch against the source files in that
repository. Here is how to get it:
http://perl.apache.org/download/docs.html
e.g. to contribute to RequestUtil.pod, you'd modify
modperl-docs/src/docs/2.0/api/Apache/RequestUtil.pod
then do:
cvs diff -u src/docs/2.0/api/Apache/RequestUtil.pod
and send the diff here or to the docs-dev list:
http://perl.apache.org/maillist/docs-dev.html

Thanks.