Posted to user@ignite.apache.org by begineer <re...@gmail.com> on 2018/03/25 11:53:34 UTC

Basic terms in Ignite

Hi,
I am confused about few terms used often in ignite docs. Could someone
please clarify them.

1. What is difference between a Server, JVM and ignite node. Can one have
multiple instances of other 2, like a jvm has two nodes or a node has 2
jvms. Please explain in detail, I am very confused about them

2. In partitioned mode, can a partition span across multiple nodes. Again
relating to first point. If I have 10 servers of 10GB each so total memory
is 100 GB. Can a partition be created on 2-3 servers of 30 GB size. This is
hypothetical example though.

3. Lets say I have 90 GB data to be loaded on 10 servers of 10GB each. Now
if first ignite node joins the gird and starts loading data. There might be
a chance that it loads so much data that it runs out of memory before new
ones join the grid. How do we handle this scenario. Is there a way to wait
for some condition before kicking of cache loading.

Thanks
Surinder

Re: Basic terms in Ignite

Posted by begineer <re...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Dave for very informative reply. I will come back with some more
questions

Re: Basic terms in Ignite

Posted by David Harvey <dh...@jobcase.com>.
1.   You can call ignite.start() twice in the same JVM, and you get two
Ignite nodes (there are some restrictions around the same cluster I don't
understand).  An ignite node may be a client or a server.      I believe
can have two client nodes in the same JVM connected to two different
clusters.    ( For peer class loading, the terms master and workers
introduced, just to be confusing, where in typical use cases the master is
the client and the workers the servers.)

2. A cache is broken, by default, into 1000 partitions, and the primary for
a partition exists on exactly one node, as does each backup for the
partition.       A partitioned cache can be created on any "cluster group",
which is not, as you might think, a "group of clusters" but instead a
subset of the nodes in a cluster.    Of course, it would not make sense to
have less nodes than # backups + 1.

3. In 2.4, you are using Ignite Persistence,  the cluster will remain
inactive on startup until the set of nodes you have defined as necessary
have started, and then it will activate automatically.  Prior versions
needed to be manually activated.   I'm not aware of any controls w/o Ignite
Persistence for the case your describe.

On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 7:53 AM, begineer <re...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am confused about few terms used often in ignite docs. Could someone
> please clarify them.
>
> 1. What is difference between a Server, JVM and ignite node. Can one have
> multiple instances of other 2, like a jvm has two nodes or a node has 2
> jvms. Please explain in detail, I am very confused about them
>
> 2. In partitioned mode, can a partition span across multiple nodes. Again
> relating to first point. If I have 10 servers of 10GB each so total memory
> is 100 GB. Can a partition be created on 2-3 servers of 30 GB size. This is
> hypothetical example though.
>
> 3. Lets say I have 90 GB data to be loaded on 10 servers of 10GB each. Now
> if first ignite node joins the gird and starts loading data. There might be
> a chance that it loads so much data that it runs out of memory before new
> ones join the grid. How do we handle this scenario. Is there a way to wait
> for some condition before kicking of cache loading.
>
> Thanks
> Surinder

Disclaimer