Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Robert Letson <rl...@cox.net> on 2015/12/04 23:26:33 UTC

I cannot open my open office

Hello,
I have use open office for several years.  It has always been sluggish when
opening compared to my Microsoft word processor.  However, suddenly about 3
weeks ago it would not open at all.  I just opened some files with other
programs, but I have many files in ODT or similar format that I can't open
without Open Office.
I thought maybe the program became inactive and I decided to re-download the
most recent file, although I a already had it installed.   I think the
program is there but I can't get it to open
Sincerely
Robert Letson
--
Robert Letson
Tucson, AZ

Re: I cannot open my open office

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 15:26:33 -0700
"Robert Letson" <rl...@cox.net> wrote:

> Hello,
> I have use open office for several years.  It has always been sluggish when
> opening compared to my Microsoft word processor.  However, suddenly about 3
> weeks ago it would not open at all.  I just opened some files with other
> programs, but I have many files in ODT or similar format that I can't open
> without Open Office.
> I thought maybe the program became inactive and I decided to re-download the
> most recent file, although I a already had it installed.   I think the
> program is there but I can't get it to open
> Sincerely
> Robert Letson

Usually when OpenOffice doesn't start on Windows, this is due to leftover processes, caused by improper termination on OpenOffice, whether due to crashes or overhasty close down of the computer running OO.

Start TaskManager (Ctrl Shift Esc) and kill any soffice processes shown on TM's processes tab. This should fix the problem.  Note  that the processes are "soffice". Close TaskManager and now start OpenOffice

To prevent this problem happening again, when closing the computer, allow a few seconds for hardware/software write buffers to flush.  Do not power off or snap the lid shut immediately you have closed your OO file.  The time taken to gather your papers is usually sufficient to allow the computer finish its housekeeping.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: I cannot open my open office

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Sat, 5 Dec 2015 10:35:16 -0700
"Robert Letson" <rl...@cox.net> wrote:

> Rory,
> Thanks for this reply.  When I open task manager and open processes. I find
> about twenty or thirty "sofice.bin 32*" sights.  How do I kill them?  When I
> right click I have a variety of choices including "End Task", "End Task
> Tree", and "Create Dump File".  None of them show they are actively working.
> What do I click to kill them.  Are these the files you referred to?  Sorry
> for my ignorance.
> Bob

Pick "End Task" for each of them.  When OpenOffice is not running there should not be any of them, except for the Quickstarter, if that was enabled.  But stopping this will only slow OO startup, so it is safe to kill it as well.  It is so long since I used Windows I cannot remember for certain, but I think in the past there might have been a "kill" option - but "Kill" or "End task" are effectively the same thing

Rory O'Farrell

Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: I cannot open my open office