Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by bonekrusher <dj...@yahoo.com> on 2008/03/13 18:43:17 UTC

FOP 0.94 - Unkown Error

Hi,

I am in the process up grading from 0.20.5 to FOP 0.94 - As I upgrade I am
able to fix common errors when upgrading, however I recieved the following
error and I am not sure how to interupt it.

SEVERE: Exception
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.fop.cli.InputHandler.transformTo(InputHandler.java:168)
        at org.apache.fop.cli.InputHandler.renderTo(InputHandler.java:115)
        at org.apache.fop.cli.Main.startFOP(Main.java:166)
        at
org.apache.fop.cli.Main.startFOPWithDynamicClasspath(Main.java:132)
        at org.apache.fop.cli.Main.main(Main.java:199)

---------

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.table.RowPainter.addAreasAndFlushRow(RowPain
ter.java:149)
        at
org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.table.TableContentLayoutManager.iterateAndPa
intPositions(TableContentLayoutManager.java:757)
        at
org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.table.TableContentLayoutManager.addAreas(Tab
leContentLayoutManager.java:689)
        at
org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.table.TableLayoutManager.addAreas(TableLayou
tManager.java:334)
        at
org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.BlockLayoutManager.addAreas(BlockLayoutManag
er.java:393)
        at
org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.AreaAdditionUtil.addAreas(AreaAdditionUtil.j
ava:118)
        at
org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.FlowLayoutManager.addAreas(FlowLayoutManager
.java:297)
        at
org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.PageBreaker.addAreas(PageBreaker.java:241)
        at
org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.AbstractBreaker.addAreas(AbstractBreaker.jav
a:507)
        at
org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.AbstractBreaker.addAreas(AbstractBreaker.jav
a:370)
        at
org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.PageBreaker.doPhase3(PageBreaker.java:262)
        at
org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.AbstractBreaker.doLayout(AbstractBreaker.jav
a:345)
        at
org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.AbstractBreaker.doLayout(AbstractBreaker.jav
a:263)
        at
org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.PageSequenceLayoutManager.activateLayout(Pag
eSequenceLayoutManager.java:144)
        at
org.apache.fop.area.AreaTreeHandler.endPageSequence(AreaTreeHandler.j
ava:233)
        at
org.apache.fop.fo.pagination.PageSequence.endOfNode(PageSequence.java
:145)
        at
org.apache.fop.fo.FOTreeBuilder$MainFOHandler.endElement(FOTreeBuilde
r.java:378)
        at
org.apache.fop.fo.FOTreeBuilder.endElement(FOTreeBuilder.java:194)
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerIdentityImpl.endElement(Trans
formerIdentityImpl.java:1101)
        at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.endElement(Unknown
Source
)
        at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.scanEndElement(Unknow
n Source)
        at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContent
Dispatcher.dispatch(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Un
known Source)
Source)
Source)
        at
org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerIdentityImpl.transform(Transf
ormerIdentityImpl.java:484)
        at
org.apache.fop.cli.InputHandler.transformTo(InputHandler.java:165)
        at org.apache.fop.cli.InputHandler.renderTo(InputHandler.java:115)
        at org.apache.fop.cli.Main.startFOP(Main.java:166)
        at
org.apache.fop.cli.Main.startFOPWithDynamicClasspath(Main.java:132)
        at org.apache.fop.cli.Main.main(Main.java:199)

Thanks in advance.

Bones

Re: FOP 0.94 - Unkown Error

Posted by bonekrusher <dj...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

I wanted to follow up on this error. I have been swamped, so I have not been
able to test my FO under Trunk. Nevertheless I found what was partly
triggering the error.

If the border attribute is not defined, the error occurs, when I set the
border to:

<fo:table border="solid 1px black" width="100%" table-layout="fixed">

Everything works.

I am still troubleshooting whats happening upstream, because not all my
tables have a border attribute and do not cause the error.

Hope this helps someone with the same error.

I will try to keep the list posted on any additional findings.

Regards

Bones

Re: FOP 0.94 - Unkown Error

Posted by bonekrusher <dj...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks for the tips. I will do my best.

Re: FOP 0.94 - Unkown Error

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be>.
On Mar 18, 2008, at 20:27, John Brown wrote:

Hi

> <snip />
> One thing: when you get to the point where you should set environment
> variables, you should probably
>
> set JAVACMD=
>
> for a peaceful life.

:-)

Or you could, of course, use for its intended purpose: to specify the
one and only true JVM you want Ant to use.

If there are other Java-apps in your environment that rely on the
JAVA_HOME variable, using JAVACMD to tell Ant to use another one can
relieve you of constantly having to remember to change JAVA_HOME when
you're running a build.

Cheers

Andreas

RE: FOP 0.94 - Unkown Error

Posted by John Brown <jo...@hotmail.com>.
bonekrusher wrote:

> This may sound like a crazy question; Is this the only location to download
> the FOP trunk?
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/
>
> How how I download the all the files at once?
>
> Thanks

http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/dev/tools.html#svn

Remember, though, that you are going to have to compile it.
The instructions were given to you in a previous post:

>> Sure, you just have to build it before. See the following page for
>> building instructions:
>> http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/trunk/compiling.html

You are going to have to download the Java Development Kit, Apache
Ant, and Subversion, if you don't already have them.

Re: FOP 0.94 - Unkown Error

Posted by bonekrusher <dj...@yahoo.com>.
Thanks,

Re: FOP 0.94 - Unkown Error

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vi...@anyware-tech.com>.
Hi,

Re: FOP 0.94 - Unkown Error

Posted by bonekrusher <dj...@yahoo.com>.

Re: FOP 0.94 - Unkown Error

Posted by Andreas Delmelle <an...@telenet.be>.
On Mar 13, 2008, at 18:43, bonekrusher wrote:

Hi

> I am in the process up grading from 0.20.5 to FOP 0.94 - As I
> upgrade I am
> able to fix common errors when upgrading, however I recieved the
> following
> error and I am not sure how to interupt it.
>
> SEVERE: Exception
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>         at
<snip />

Re: FOP 0.94 - Unkown Error

Posted by Jay Bryant <ja...@bryantcs.com>.
Hi, Bones,

Usually, when I see

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.fop.layoutmgr.table.RowPainter.addAreasAndFlushRow(RowPain
ter.java:149)

it's because the number of cells I put in the row doesn't match the number
of column definitions. Take a look at your FO, count cells, and see if they
match. Also, remember that spans in FO require that the cell being spanned
not be present, so check your spans, too.

HTH

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services
http://www.bryantcs.com/