Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2006/11/09 21:28:18 UTC

using public keys

One of the tasks suggested in the welcome-to-apache was to set up a
public/private key pair for signing in (instead of using a password).

Another task in the new-committers info page suggested creating a key
for your apache.org address now.  It referred to "Henk's Apache home
page" for info - and that page said "one key is better than two, or three".

Can the key we set up for signing in (generated following the
instructions here:  http://www.apache.org/dev/user-ssh-windows.html) be
used as the one key - for example for signing releases?  or is it
"incompatible" in some way?

-Marshall

Re: using public keys

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 11/9/06, robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/9/06, Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> wrote:
> > One of the tasks suggested in the welcome-to-apache was to set up a
> > public/private key pair for signing in (instead of using a password).
> >
> > Another task in the new-committers info page suggested creating a key
> > for your apache.org address now.  It referred to "Henk's Apache home
> > page" for info - and that page said "one key is better than two, or three".
> >
> > Can the key we set up for signing in (generated following the
> > instructions here:  http://www.apache.org/dev/user-ssh-windows.html) be
> > used as the one key - for example for signing releases?  or is it
> > "incompatible" in some way?
>
> typically they are incompatible
>
> (IIRC it's possible to use some extreme cypto foo to use the same
> actual key but i'm not sure there's anything to be gained by doing so)
>
> IMHO it is bad practice to use the same key: the code signing key
> needs to be kept very, very safe (preferrably offline). the key used
> to login to apache needs to be kept very safe but is in everyday use
> and realistically there is a limit to the level of security that's
> going to be possible in that case.

<snip/>

Indeed, most KEYS files -- for example [1],[2] -- tend to contain a
header that discourages using code signing keys for more "casual"
uses.

-Rahul

[1] http://www.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-6/KEYS
[2] http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/KEYS