Posted to dev@ws.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2008/11/01 16:59:24 UTC

[Ws Wiki] Update of "FrontPage/Proposals/Axis2TLPProposal" by GlenDaniels

Dear Wiki user,

The following page has been changed by GlenDaniels:
http://wiki.apache.org/ws/FrontPage/Proposals/Axis2TLPProposal

New page:
    X. Establish the Apache Axis2 Project

       open-source software related to the Axis2 Web Services
       framework and subsidiary components for distribution at no
       charge to the public.

       Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Axis2 Project",
       Foundation; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the Apache Axis2 Project be and hereby is
       related to the Axis2 Web Services framework and
       subsidiary components; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Axis2" be
       and hereby is created, the person holding such office to
       serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair
       of the Apache Axis2 Project, and to have primary responsibility
       for management of the projects within the scope of
       responsibility of the Apache Axis2 Project; and be it further

       Apache Axis2 Project:

         * <person>                <ex...@apache.org>

       NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that <person>
       be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache Axis2, to
       serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
       death, resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification,
       or until a successor is appointed; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Axis2 PMC be and hereby is
       tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to
       encourage open development and increased participation in the
       Apache Axis2 Project; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the Apache Axis2 Project be and hereby
       is tasked with the migration and rationalization of the
       following Apache Web Services sub-projects:

         * Axis2/Java
         * Axis2/C
         * Rampart
         * Sandesha
         * Kandula
         * Savan
         * WS-Commons Transports

       and be it further

       Web Services sub-projects mentioned above encumbered upon the
       Apache Web Services Project are hereafter discharged.

Re: [Ws Wiki] Update of "FrontPage/Proposals/Axis2TLPProposal" by GlenDaniels

Posted by Asankha Perera <as...@apache.org>.
Glen
>>>          * WS-Commons Transports
>> The WS-Commons transports should not belong to an Axis2 TLP - as it
>> has a life of its own and is heavily used by Synapse - probably even
>> more than by Axis2! Shall I edit the proposal directly to remove this?
> Does Synapse call these transports directly *outside* an Axis2 code
> path?  I was under the impression that even within Synapse the
> transports are still used as Axis2 plugins and called via Axis2
> code... if that's the case, then IMO they should in fact live with
> Axis2 (because like the Modules, they're components that are only
> usable within the Axis2 framework).  Separate component, independent
> release schedules just like in commons, but I do think if we're going
> to restructure we should take the opportunity to put all the
> Axis2-specific stuff together.
>
> If I'm mistaken, and indeed Synapse DOES call transports directly
> outside of the Axis2 code path, then I think it's somewhat less clear
> cut and we should discuss.
I just re-read the thread that finally coerced me to let the code that
was mostly developed by me, out of Synapse :
http://markmail.org/message/okzimikvmbhimflr

There is nothing else for me to say anymore..

asankha

--
Asankha C. Perera
http://adroitlogic.org

http://esbmagic.blogspot.com

Re: [Ws Wiki] Update of "FrontPage/Proposals/Axis2TLPProposal" by GlenDaniels

Posted by Asankha Perera <as...@apache.org>.
Glen

Posted by Andreas Veithen <an...@gmail.com>.
Glen,

Synapse uses the transport through Axis2. My point of view has always
been that it makes sense to have the transports in a separate project
(-> independent release cycle) but that the most natural solution
would be as a subproject of Axis2, so I completely agree with you on
that point.

Andreas

PS: Glen, can you add a "Transports" component for WSCOMMONS and check
my access rights in JIRA (I'm not yet in the right group for
WSCOMMONS)?

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Hi Asankha:

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Asankha,

I agree. But let's let Glen edit the pages based on consensus.

thanks,
dims

Posted by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com>.
Hi Asankha: