Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Cameron Fieber <ca...@fieber.ca> on 2004/03/01 03:27:09 UTC

Re: [merlin] JMX MBean generator facility

Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> > With regards to #1 I was planning on looking at the avalon-meta
> stuff to
> > figure out how to
> > add support for a new component level tag to declare a management
> > interface, then figuring
> > out how to propagate that information down into the ComponentModel in
> > Merlin.  I was
> > thinking @avalon.mx type="interface-name" since it's similar to what
> was
> > in Phoenix.
>
> Yes. Actually, I was thinking of supporting both the standard MBean as
> well as
> Dynamic MBean, meaning the component can either expose its own management
> methods, or delegate to a separate class.
> Let us help you getting the meta in place. I guess it will take some
> "debate"
> among the people here...

Sounds good.   As a first step, supporting the Phoenix style of
specifying the
management interface and generating the MBean via introspection would be
good, since that's what is currently there.

> > As for #2, it seems wrong to have the management interface for a
> > component exposed as
> > one of its service interfaces.  Is there a way to go from the
> > ComponentModel of a component
> > to a non-proxied reference without forcing the particular component to
> > never be proxied?
>
> I'll need to take a look at your code, but the principal answer is yes.
> However, I think you will need a reference to the appliance or the
> ContainmentModel, so I'll need to take a bit look at your code first.

I believe I have a reference to the containment model, I'll see what I
can find in there.

> Give me a few days to review the code, and see what we can do with it.

Sounds great, thanks again :-)

> Then there might be some legal stuff. We are not supposed to accept code,
> unless the contributor have signed a Contributor License Agreement. We'll
> take that when we get there...

Most of the code was just ripped from the Phoenix codebase anyways.  I
wouldn't have a problem signing a Contributor License Agreement either.

-Cameron

Re: [merlin] JMX MBean generator facility

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Monday 01 March 2004 22:04, Stephen McConnell wrote:
> If resolve is invoked on a ComponentModel, the object return to the
> client is a proxy wrapping the component implementation instance (unless
> proxy handling for the component has been disabled).  If resolve is
> invoked on a ContainmentModel the object is a proxy that redirects
> invocations to a component running inside the container.

The "issue" at hand is;

The Proxy returned should not expose the Management interface and the
Management needs to reach the managedComponent to invoke the management
methods on it.

Your idea of LifeCycle extension is perhaps feasible.

Niclas

Re: [merlin] JMX MBean generator facility

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> On Monday 01 March 2004 10:27, Cameron Fieber wrote:
>
>>I believe I have a reference to the containment model, I'll see what I
>>can find in there.
>

> I scratched my head for quite a while on this one.
> I can't find a way to get to the managedComponet OR the Appliance from the
> componentModel. Stephen is indicating that it may have been refactored away.
>
> The RuntimeFactory's getRuntime() method can give what you need, but I can't
> see any way to reach that either....

A component with a reference to the model (a.k.a facility) can locate
other component models by address or by service classname.  This is
handled by the respective getModel( .. ) operations under
ContainmentModel.  Once a particular model has been located (component
or containment model) the service is accessible using model.resolve().

If resolve is invoked on a ComponentModel, the object return to the
client is a proxy wrapping the component implementation instance (unless
proxy handling for the component has been disabled).  If resolve is
invoked on a ContainmentModel the object is a proxy that redirects
invocations to a component running inside the container.

Stephen.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Cameron Fieber <ca...@gems6.gov.bc.ca>.
On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 12:38, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> :o)
>
> Dead Tree Communication Media.
Well, I am doing some contract work for the forestry branch of the
government here, so I think if it as a make work project :)
> That should take 1-2 days?

Probably more like 4-5.

Re: [merlin] JMX MBean generator facility

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Cameron Fieber <ca...@gems6.gov.bc.ca>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas (explaination)