Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com> on 2015/08/08 04:31:05 UTC

[DISCUSS] Feature proposal: Read-only mode as default

Team,

We've been hearing from users of nifi that it is too easy to
accidentally move something on the flow or delete large portions of
the flow.  This is the case when panning the screen for example and
accidentally having a processor selected instead.

What is worth consideration then is the notion of making the flow
'read-only' by default.  In this case the user would need to
explicitly 'enable edit mode'.  We would then also support a
confirmation dialog or similar construct whenever deleting components
on the flow.

Anyone have a strong objection to this concept?  If so, do you have an
alternative in mind that would help avoid accidental movement?

Thanks
Joe

Re: [DISCUSS] Feature proposal: Read-only mode as default

Posted by Corey Flowers <cf...@onyxpoint.com>.
Well there is always the cya "are you sure you want to delete" idiot
pop up button.

For the actual undo, you could do something similar to copy and
"stack" it. I am not sure what mechanism is used for the copy but the
undo could work in the same way. Also, would it only undo elements on
the graph or property and state changes?

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adam Taft <ad...@adamtaft.com>.

Posted by Mark Payne <ma...@hotmail.com>.
Accidentally moving processors is the main reason that I like this idea. However, I would like to see it
truly in read-only mode. If I go to Configure a processor, I may still not want to edit the processor.
I may just want to view the configuration and I'd like to ensure that I don't accidentally change (or delete)
something.

Posted by Ryan Blue <bl...@cloudera.com>.

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer

Re: [DISCUSS] Feature proposal: Read-only mode as default

Posted by Rob Moran <rm...@gmail.com>.
Here's my .02:

Regarding read-only, if that is all that's implemented, the user still
faces the challenge of unintended changes once they engage edit mode.

Already mentioned but of personal preference, the 'undo' action. Pair undo
with a notification of the change that was made, think like Gmail or Inbox.
To expand on this further, introduce a history feature with the ability to
revert back to past states (in case something goes unnoticed).

I also see usefulness in confirmation dialogs in combination with
notification/undo functionality, reserved for extreme cases where
significant change would occur.

Another idea to consider is explicit tools. By default the cursor could be
a move or grab icon that only lets the user navigate the graph. They could
click anywhere, on anything to navigate. Then, an explicit action to choose
a 'selection' tool that will enable them to click on and select an item for
follow-on action. Keyboard shortcuts could be introduced allowing advanced
users to quickly shift between tools.

--
Rob

RE: [DISCUSS] Feature proposal: Read-only mode as default

Posted by johny casanova <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Payne <ma...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Adam Taft <ad...@adamtaft.com>.

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Blue <bl...@cloudera.com>.

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer

Re: [DISCUSS] Feature proposal: Read-only mode as default

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tony Kurc <tr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by johny casanova <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brandon DeVries <br...@jhu.edu>.
I think "undo" is the most important part here.  I agree with Alex's
statement, "accidents happen; I prefer to enable users to learn from
mistakes and exercise more care next time."  Delete confirmations may be
fine (although I suspect they would begin to annoy me fairly quickly... if
it's just for things not visible on the graph its probably fine), and
reducing accidental movement is all well and good.  But ultimately, if i
can say "whoops, undo" then they don't really matter.  And as a side
effect, maybe I'll be more careful next time.  Also, who says I'll remember
that I left the graph in "edit" mode?  If I get pulled to something else
and come back, and have been trained that "read only" is default, then I
run the risk of being bitten by the same things "edit" vs. "read only" was
supposed to prevent.  I would suggest focusing on implementing "undo",
getting that in people's hands, and then seeing if after having done that
anyone still cares about the other issues .

Brandon

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
Ok all the thread has died down and reading where there is a strong
consensus the main thing that comes out the other end here is the
desire for 'undo'.  I believe this is well captured in [1].

Other ideas where presented here that are also interesting and perhaps
once we get make progress on the other more clarity will occur on
those.  Great discussion all - thanks!

Joe

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NIFI/Configuration+Management+of+Flows

Posted by Joe Skora <js...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ryan Blue <bl...@cloudera.com>.

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer

Re: [DISCUSS] Feature proposal: Read-only mode as default

Posted by Ricky Saltzer <ri...@cloudera.com>.

--
Ricky Saltzer
http://www.cloudera.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Feature proposal: Read-only mode as default

Posted by Michael Moser <mo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Moran <rm...@gmail.com>.

--
Rob

Re: [DISCUSS] Feature proposal: Read-only mode as default

Posted by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com>.
To summarize where we're at ...