Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by "SCHACHTER,MICHAEL (HP-NewJersey,ex2)" <ms...@hp.com> on 2001/06/01 22:21:32 UTC

jakarta.apache.org and ssh

I sent this to the jakarta-general list, but I figured I'd send it here
too...

jakarta.apache.org keeps refusing my password when I ssh to it, anyone else
know of this problem? Craig?

Re: jakarta.apache.org and ssh

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, SCHACHTER,MICHAEL (HP-NewJersey,ex2) wrote:

> I sent this to the jakarta-general list, but I figured I'd send it here
> too...
>
> jakarta.apache.org keeps refusing my password when I ssh to it, anyone else
> know of this problem? Craig?

Yep.  The apache.org site was the target of a cracker (along with several
others including SourceForge).  There's a page on the www.apache.org site
detailing what we've done to clean up, but one thing you'll need to do is
sent a message to root@apache.org stating that you are a Struts committer,
and need a new password assigned.

Also, all committers across Apache projects are automatically subscribed
to committers@apache.org which is where extensive discussion of this has
taken place.  By default, this goes to your shell account on the apache
server -- you can set up a ".forward" file if you want it sent somewhere
else (after you get your new password).

Craig