Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com> on 2016/12/16 05:16:41 UTC

[VOTE] Apache Spark 2.1.0 (RC5)

Please vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache Spark version
2.1.0. The vote is open until Sun, December 18, 2016 at 21:30 PT and passes
if a majority of at least 3 +1 PMC votes are cast.

To learn more about Apache Spark, please see http://spark.apache.org/

The tag to be voted on is v2.1.0-rc5
(cd0a08361e2526519e7c131c42116bf56fa62c76)

List of JIRA tickets resolved are:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20SPARK%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%202.1.0

http://home.apache.org/~pwendell/spark-releases/spark-2.1.0-rc5-bin/

https://people.apache.org/keys/committer/pwendell.asc

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachespark-1223/

http://people.apache.org/~pwendell/spark-releases/spark-2.1.0-rc5-docs/

*FAQ*

*How can I help test this release?*

If you are a Spark user, you can help us test this release by taking an
existing Spark workload and running on this release candidate, then
reporting any regressions.

*What should happen to JIRA tickets still targeting 2.1.0?*

Committers should look at those and triage. Extremely important bug fixes,
documentation, and API tweaks that impact compatibility should be worked on
immediately. Everything else please retarget to 2.1.1 or 2.2.0.

*What happened to RC3/RC5?*

They had issues withe release packaging and as a result were skipped.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Spark 2.1.0 (RC5)

Posted by Felix Cheung <fe...@hotmail.com>.
0/+1

Tested a bunch of R package/install cases.
Unfortunately we are still working on SPARK-18817, which looks to be a change when going from Spark 1.6 to 2.0. In that case it won't be a blocker.

_____________________________
From:        Holden Karau <ho...@pigscanfly.ca>>
To:        Denny Lee <de...@gmail.com>>, Liwei Lin <lw...@gmail.com>>, "dev@spark.apache.org<ma...@spark.apache.org>" <de...@spark.apache.org>>
Date:        18/12/2016 20:05
________________________________

+1 (non-binding) - checked Python artifacts with virtual env.

On Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 11:42 AM Denny Lee <de...@gmail.com>> wrote:
+1 (non-binding)

On Sat, Dec 17, 2016 at 11:45 PM Liwei Lin <lw...@gmail.com>> wrote:
+1

Cheers,
Liwei

On Sat, Dec 17, 2016 at 10:29 AM, Yuming Wang <wg...@gmail.com>> wrote:
I hope https://github.com/apache/spark/pull/16252 can be fixed until release 2.1.0. It's a fix for broadcast cannot fit in memory.

On Sat, Dec 17, 2016 at 10:23 AM, Joseph Bradley <jo...@databricks.com>> wrote:
+1

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 3:21 PM, Herman van Hövell tot Westerflier <hv...@databricks.com>> wrote:
+1

On Sat, Dec 17, 2016 at 12:14 AM, Xiao Li <ga...@gmail.com>> wrote:
+1

Xiao Li

For R we have a license field in the DESCRIPTION, and this is standard practice (and requirement) for R packages.

https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-exts.html#Licensing

________________________________

Posted by vaquar khan <va...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Re: [VOTE] Apache Spark 2.1.0 (RC5)

Re: [VOTE] Apache Spark 2.1.0 (RC5)

Posted by Holden Karau <ho...@pigscanfly.ca>.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Spark 2.1.0 (RC5)

Posted by Denny Lee <de...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Re: [VOTE] Apache Spark 2.1.0 (RC5)

Posted by Liwei Lin <lw...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Apache Spark 2.1.0 (RC5)

Posted by Yuming Wang <wg...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Spark 2.1.0 (RC5)

Posted by Joseph Bradley <jo...@databricks.com>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Apache Spark 2.1.0 (RC5)

Posted by Herman van Hövell tot Westerflier <hv...@databricks.com>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Apache Spark 2.1.0 (RC5)

Posted by Xiao Li <ga...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] Apache Spark 2.1.0 (RC5)

Posted by Felix Cheung <fe...@hotmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Spark 2.1.0 (RC5)

Posted by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@apache.org>.
RC5 is also tested on CentOS 6.8, OpenJDK 1.8.0_111, R 3.3.2 with profiles `-Pyarn -Phadoop-2.7 -Pkinesis-asl -Phive -Phive-thriftserver -Psparkr`.

BTW, there still exist five on-going issues in JIRA (with target version 2.1.0).

1. SPARK-16845  org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.expressions.GeneratedClass$SpecificOrdering" grows beyond 64 KB
2. SPARK-18669 Update Apache docs regard watermarking in Structured Streaming
3. SPARK-18894 Event time watermark delay threshold specified in months or years gives incorrect results
4. SPARK-18899 append data to a bucketed table with mismatched bucketing should fail

+1 with known issues for now.

Bests,
Dongjoon.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Spark 2.1.0 (RC5)

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Spark 2.1.0 (RC5)

Posted by Holden Karau <ho...@pigscanfly.ca>.
Thanks for the specific mention of the new PySpark packaging Shivaram,

For *nix (Linux, Unix, OS X, etc.) Python users interested in helping test
the new artifacts you can do as follows:

Setup PySpark with pip by:

1. Download the artifact from
http://home.apache.org/~pwendell/spark-releases/spark-2.1.0-rc5-bin/pyspark-2.1.0+hadoop2.7.tar.gz
2. (Optional): Create a virtual env (e.g. virtualenv /tmp/pysparktest;
source /tmp/pysparktest/bin/activate)
3. (Possibly required depending on pip version): Upgrade pip to a recent
version (e.g. pip install --upgrade pip)
3. Install the package with pip install pyspark-2.1.0+hadoop2.7.tar.gz
4. If you have SPARK_HOME set to any specific path unset it to force the
pip installed pyspark to run with its provided jars

In the future we hope to publish to PyPI allowing you to skip the download
step, but there just wasn't a chance to get that part included for this
release. If everything goes smoothly hopefully we can add that soon (see
SPARK-18128 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-18128>) :)

Some things to verify:
1) Verify you can start the PySpark shell (e.g. run pyspark)
2) Verify you can start PySpark from python (e.g. run python, verify you
can import pyspark and construct a SparkContext).
3) Verify you PySpark programs works with pip installed PySpark as well as
regular spark (e.g. spark-submit my-workload.py)
4) Have a different version of Spark downloaded locally as well? Verify
that launches and runs correctly & pip installed PySpark is not taking
precedence (make sure to use the fully qualified path when executing).

Some things that are explicitly not supported in pip installed PySpark:
1) Starting a new standalone cluster with pip installed PySpark (connecting
to an existing standalone cluster is expected to work)
2) non-Python Spark interfaces (e.g. don't pip install pypsark for SparkR,
use the SparkR packaging instead :)).
3) PyPi - if things go well coming in a future release (track the progress
on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-18128)
4) Python versions prior to 2.7
5) Full Windows support - later follow up task (if your interested in this
please chat with me or see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-18136
)

Post verification cleanup:
1. Uninstall the pip installed PySpark since it is just an RC and you don't
want it getting in the way later (e.g. pip uninstall pypsark-2.1.0 )
2 (Optional). deactivate your pip environment

If anyone has any questions about the new PySpark packaging I'm more than
happy to chat :)

Cheers,

Holden :)

Re: [VOTE] Apache Spark 2.1.0 (RC5)

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Spark 2.1.0 (RC5)

Posted by Shivaram Venkataraman <sh...@eecs.berkeley.edu>.

http://people.apache.org/~pwendell/spark-releases/spark-2.1.0-rc5-bin/SparkR_2.1.0.tar.gz

Re: [VOTE] Apache Spark 2.1.0 (RC5)

Posted by Nicholas Chammas <ni...@gmail.com>.
Since it’s not a regression from 2.0 (I believe the same issue affects both
2.0 and 2.1) it doesn’t merit a -1 vote according to the voting guidelines.

Of course, it would be nice if we could fix the various optimizer issues
that all seem to have a workaround that involves persist() (another one is
SPARK-18492 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SPARK-18492>) but I
don’t think this should block the release.
​

Re: [VOTE] Apache Spark 2.1.0 (RC5)

Posted by Franklyn D'souza <fr...@shopify.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Spark 2.1.0 (RC5)

Posted by Sean Owen <so...@cloudera.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Apache Spark 2.1.0 (RC5)

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.
The vote passed with the following +1 and -1:

+1

Reynold Xin*
Sean Owen*
Dongjoon Hyun
Xiao Li
Herman van Hövell tot Westerflier
Joseph Bradley*
Liwei Lin
Denny Lee
Holden Karau
Adam Roberts
vaquar khan

0/+1 (not sure what this means but putting it here just in case)
Felix Cheung

-1
Franklyn D'souza (due to a bug that's not a regression)

I will work on packaging the release.