Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by David Wall <dw...@Yozons.com> on 2001/04/24 17:53:42 UTC

byte arrays and such...

I'm just starting to check out SOAP for use in a project that needs to send
and receive messages with file attachments, digital signatures, etc.  We
have a working web site that handles it all now, but we're going to extend
it so that the same methods are available via XML, and we're hoping that
SOAP will work and actually be interoperable between the Apache version and
clients written using MSFT's SOAP toolkits (say from VisualBasic, perhaps
calling some COM objects).

What sort of issues will I have trying to send messages that include byte
arrays (byte[])?  Is that supported?

Is the XML data "scrubbed" to ensure that html tags and other embedded
content don't confuse the XML?  Do I need to do that myself first, by ensure
that all String attributes have been java.net.URLEncoder.encode() or
anything.

Thanks,
David

Re: tcptunnel usage

Posted by Adam Marek <ad...@oke.pl>.
Your syntax seems correct. You might try the TcpTunnelGui class to verify at
what point does the connection actually hang.

Adam

Re: tcptunnel usage

Posted by Adam Marek <ad...@oke.pl>.

tcptunnel usage

Re: byte arrays and such...

Posted by David Wall <dw...@Yozons.com>.
> Hey, I don't know that much about XML, hardly anything about WSDL, and
most
> of the Apache-SOAP developers understand the first thing about MIME,
> attachments, or character encodings. ;-) We've still managed to hack
something
> pretty strong together.

Great. Then I stand a chance.  Thanks for all you info.

>You may be the first to ever try to get this particular
> feature working between different products... So how does it feel to be
> on the bleeding edge? ;-)

...a cut above sore...but not yet sour...

David

Re: byte arrays and such...

Posted by David Wall <dw...@Yozons.com>.

RE: byte arrays and such...

Posted by Silvio Fiorito <si...@ntr.net>.
> The whole name of SOAP is of course a misnomer.

Funny you should mention that since I just got back from a Roger Sessions'
talk on .NET vs J2EE where he criticized MSFT on various "marketing" issues
(pushing C# and Web Services so much that people now think .NET applies to
only those two things), but the funniest was on the Simple Object Access
Protocol:

1) It's anything but simple
2) It's not object oriented
3) It has little to do with "access"
4) It's not a protocol.

He said that it's a serialization algorithm more than anything else. He had
some funny things to say about Sun and J2EE as well, but I figure some
people on this list wouldn't appreciate the humor... :)

> So how does it feel to be on the bleeding edge?

I think most people on this list (and the other SOAP lists) have lost quite
a bit of blood already. :)

Silvio

RE: byte arrays and such...

Posted by Silvio Fiorito <si...@ntr.net>.

Re: byte arrays and such...

Posted by Wouter Cloetens <wo...@mind.be>.
On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 11:15:25AM -0700, David Wall wrote:
> > Yes, String parameters in SOAP parameter arguments are scrubbed to be XML-safe,
> > and recomposed on the other end.
>
> Wonderful news.  For a "simple" protocol, I'm amazed at what I need to
> understand: XML, XML Schemas, XML Namespaces, MIME, HTTP/S, JSP/servlet,
> encoding rules, serialization rules, UDDI, WSDL.... <wink>

Hey, I don't know that much about XML, hardly anything about WSDL, and most
of the Apache-SOAP developers understand the first thing about MIME,
attachments, or character encodings. ;-) We've still managed to hack something
pretty strong together.

The whole name of SOAP is of course a misnomer. There's nothing Simple about
it; it violently disregards the concepts behind Object-oriented technology;
you might argue that since it's designed to circumvent firewall restrictions,
the "Access" word is accurate; and lastly, I wouldn't call it a Protocol,
but a serialisation mechanism that for some incomprehensible reason has
information on transportation over HTTP in its specification document.

> > It's fairly straightforward to encode byte arrays as MIME attachments to the
> > request. Check out the samples/mime/ directory for examples.
>
> Thanks for the tip.  Is this capability generally supported by MSFT clients
> (say using a COM object and MSFT's SOAP)?  I expect that many of my clients
> will be from Windows.  I figured as a stopgap I could always treat an
> attachment as a simple (but very long) String and base64 encode it.

I quite honestly don't have a clue. I wrote attachment support for Apache-SOAP
last year in May, and then found out that at the same time, one of the original
SOAP spec authors at Microsoft, and someone at HP, had written a spec for
SOAP attachments. I adapted my code to suit that spec and contributed it
to Apache-SOAP, which was, I think, the first to support it. A Perl SOAP
implementation followed a few months later. From the fact that the spec was
developed by someone at Microsoft, you'd assume that they would support this
too. However, I have no exposure whatsoever to any Microsoft products, so
I couldn't see it for myself. I've never had any reports of interoperability
problems either. You may be the first to ever try to get this particular
feature working between different products... So how does it feel to be
on the bleeding edge? ;-)

bfn, Wouter

Re: byte arrays and such...

Posted by Wouter Cloetens <wo...@mind.be>.

Re: byte arrays and such...

Posted by David Wall <dw...@Yozons.com>.

Re: byte arrays and such...

Posted by David Wall <dw...@Yozons.com>.

Describing a SOAP service for others

Posted by David Wall <dw...@Yozons.com>.
I know that there's the UDDI and WSDL and all, but how are most people going
about documenting a SOAP service?  Are they using those alpha products
(which are not all that easy to understand, IMHO), or do they use something
simpler?

I know that the soap service I write is in Java, but of course the clients
that will access my service may be written in other languages (C++, Perl).
Since I don't even define XML documents for SOAP, I'm not sure what to show
so that another user can use my services.  I'd expect that often either one
input or the return object to be quite complex (to me, a Java object that
contains several lists of objects and other embedded objects).

Do people just capture the XML documents using the TCP tunnel, or is there a
clearer way?

tcptunnel usage

Re: byte arrays and such...

Posted by Wouter Cloetens <wo...@mind.be>.
Yes, String parameters in SOAP parameter arguments are scrubbed to be XML-safe,
and recomposed on the other end.

It's fairly straightforward to encode byte arrays as MIME attachments to the
request. Check out the samples/mime/ directory for examples.

Note: you need Apache-SOAP v2.1 for multipart MIME support. If you run into
any problems, grab one of the recent nightly builds from the download directory,
or the source code from CVS.

bfn, Wouter

Re: byte arrays and such...

Posted by Wouter Cloetens <wo...@mind.be>.