Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Michael Chen <va...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/14 14:16:53 UTC

cannot access folder though I have right

Though I am a member of the group "shortfall", and there are group access
rights (rwS) for the folder db/rev/1, I cannot access it. I also have
disabled the SELinux totally to isolate the problem. May anyone tell me why
I cannot access the folder? Followings are the diagnostic info:

[chensy@chen working]$ ls -l /home/svn/shortfall/db/revs/
total 8
-rw-rwS--- 1 chensy shortfall  115 Sep 13 13:04 0
-rw-rwS--- 1 root   shortfall 2238 Sep 13 13:04 1

[chensy@chen working]$ more /home/svn/shortfall/db/revs/1
/home/svn/shortfall/db/revs/1: Permission denied

[chensy@chen working]$ whoami
chensy

[chensy@chen working]$ getent group shortfall
shortfall:x:525:chensy,lanhai

[chensy@chen working]$ su -
Password:
[root@chen ~]# sestatus
SELinux status:                 disabled

--
All the best,
Michael Chen

Re: cannot access folder though I have right

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 8:23 AM, Michael Chen
<va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Andreas.
>
> Even if I logout and login manytimes, I still cannot access the folder.
>
> However, after I reboot the CentOS5, I can access the folder.
>
> I have to say, this immediately reminds me Windoze, where reboot is a must
> for many scenarios.
>
> Is there an explaination why a linux system needs reboot before the group
> access right is allowed?
>
> The script I wrote to create a new svn project is in the following. I always
> su to root to execute this script since the commands groupadd and usermod
> are root commands.

Is this a local, physical file system? Or a network based system, on
NFS, ZFS, BTRFS, my cousin-ernie-FS, or some other oddness?

I'm wondering if you have some underlying filesystem issues.

Also, RHEL 6 and CentOS 6 aree out and quite stable. I'd definitely
upgrade for Subversion servers: while the subversion is not noticeably
different if you keep updates, the httpd and SSH upgrades are well
worth it. I've actually switched to Scientific Linux 6, and much
prefer it.

Re: cannot access folder though I have right

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 08:23:48AM -0400, Michael Chen wrote:
> Is there an explaination why a linux system needs reboot before the group
> access right is allowed?

A user's group membership list is set at login time.
So you need to logout and login.
No need to reboot, though it has the same effect.

Re: cannot access folder though I have right

Posted by Michael Chen <va...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Andreas.

Even if I logout and login manytimes, I still cannot access the folder.

However, after I reboot the CentOS5, I can access the folder.

I have to say, this immediately reminds me Windoze, where reboot is a must
for many scenarios.

Is there an explaination why a linux system needs reboot before the group
access right is allowed?

The script I wrote to create a new svn project is in the following. I always
su to root to execute this script since the commands groupadd and usermod
are root commands.

======== scripte createproject.sh ======
#!/bin/sh -v
echo Usage: createproject projectname username1 [username1 username2
username3 username4]

if [ $# -gt 4 ]
then
echo too many parameters
exit 1
fi

if [ $# -lt 2 ]
then
echo too less parameters
exit 1
fi

svnadmin create /home/svn/$1

 groupadd $1
 usermod -a -G $1 $2
if [ $# -eq 3 ]; then  usermod -a -G $1 $3; fi
if [ $# -eq 4 ]; then  usermod -a -G $1 $4; fi

chown -Rv $2 /home/svn/$1

 chgrp -Rv $1 /home/svn/$1

 chmod -Rv g+rws /home/svn/$1

cd /tmp

svn checkout file:///home/svn/$1

cd $1
svn mkdir doc
svn mkdir paper
svn mkdir src_ampl
svn mkdir src_c
svn mkdir src_matlab

svn propset svn:ignore . -R -F ~/ignorelist
svn commit -m "created project"

cd ..

rm -fr $1

======

All the best,
Michael Chen

--
All the best,
Michael Chen

RE: cannot access folder though I have right

Posted by Andreas Tscharner <an...@metromec.ch>.

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag Michael Chen,
am Mittwoch, 14. September 2011 um 14:16 schrieben Sie:

> [chensy@chen working]$ more /home/svn/shortfall/db/revs/1
> /home/svn/shortfall/db/revs/1: Permission denied

Just to be sure you should provide the permissions for the folder
directly, too.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

--
Thorsten Schöning
AM-SoFT IT-Systeme - Hameln | Potsdam | Leipzig

Telefon: Potsdam: 0331-743881-0
E-Mail:  tschoening@am-soft.de
Web:     http://www.am-soft.de

AM-SoFT GmbH IT-Systeme, Konsumhof 1-5, 14482 Potsdam
Amtsgericht Potsdam HRB 21278 P, Geschäftsführer: Andreas Muchow