Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Chris Sears <cs...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/28 22:10:33 UTC

Stability of 0.7.946106 packages

Greetings,

I'm not quite clear on the implied stability of the 0.7 release.

I understand that this is the current development trunk version and I
read some earlier messages that said 0.8 will be the next stable
release, but the fact that Red Hat included several 0.7.946106
packages in the 1.3 update of MRG
(https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2010-0773.html) leads me to think
it may be production-ready. I noticed that the same revision was
packaged in Fedora 14.

Is there anything special about 0.7 revision 946106? Do these packages
represent a stable version of qpid?

Thanks,

 - Chris

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Stability of 0.7.946106 packages

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
On 10/28/2010 07:23 PM, Steve Huston wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> I'll add my 2 cents here, but I'm sure Carl will have more to add as
> well.

I think the response so far pretty much covers it. Happy to answer any
additional questions if there are.

Carl.

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
Hi Chris,

I'll add my 2 cents here, but I'm sure Carl will have more to add as
well.

The Qpid response is correct; I'll let Carl et al respond from Red Hat's
perspective.

> Whereas if I wait for 0.8 to be released, I could expect Qpid
> to release minor updates to fix serious bugs.

No, this isn't the way it works at this point.

> Do I have that right? Sorry if this is obvious. I'm still
> working out how the release process works between all the
> parties involved.

The Qpid project does releases periodically (e.g. 0.6, 0.8). There's no
commitment on the project's part to release fixes any time before the
next release. Fixes do show up on the svn trunk of course, but there's
generally no 0.6.1, etc. released by the Qpid project.

Downstream vendors (such as Red Hat) can provide services under
agreements between vendor and customer to integrate fixes and deliver
them outside the normal qpid release process.

I'm looking at adding this type of service as well, and would be happy
to discuss your needs (as well as anyone else's) here or privately.

-Steve

--
Steve Huston, Riverace Corporation
Total Lifecycle Support for Your Networked Applications

Posted by Chris Sears <cs...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 4:47 PM, Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Red Hat snapshots or selects a svn, and provides a stable release
> for MRG independent of the Qpid release process. sometimes it may
> be line up, other times not.
>
> The MRG release also carries a patch set ontop of 0.7.946106 while
> maintaining
> ABI. Thus MRG is 0.7.946106 + a patch set, so to assume 0.7.946106
> on it's own is entirely stable would be a leap.

That does help. Thanks.

So if I went with one of these 0.7.946106 packages from Red Hat or
Fedora and ran into a bug, I might get an update from Red Hat or
Fedora, but the Qpid response would be to fix it in trunk, since 0.7
is a development release.

Whereas if I wait for 0.8 to be released, I could expect Qpid to
release minor updates to fix serious bugs.

Do I have that right? Sorry if this is obvious. I'm still working out
how the release process works between all the parties involved.

Thanks again,

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
This may help,

Red Hat snapshots or selects a svn, and provides a stable release
for MRG independent of the Qpid release process. sometimes it may
be line up, other times not.

The MRG release also carries a patch set ontop of 0.7.946106 while
maintaining
ABI. Thus MRG is 0.7.946106 + a patch set, so to assume 0.7.946106
on it's own is entirely stable would be a leap.

hope that helps.
Carl.