Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Piroumian Konstantin <KP...@protek.com> on 2002/07/05 09:30:40 UTC

RE: Having all the sitemaps in one directory

People, please, don't get me wrong!
I am not proposing to change anything in Cocoon nor *force* people to do it
in their projects. I just wanted to hear if it is a good idea for the
described (Forrest) case and is there a better solution.

Let me explain one more time.

* Prerequisites:
	- Forrest is intended to build the whole xml.apache.org site,
including sub-projects' sites & docs
	- A single sitemap is used currently for the site & docs and it will
grow as the sites get new sub-areas (FAQ, HowTo, etc.) and functionality
(statistics, calendars, news, feedback forms, etc.)
	- Forrest cannot *force* other projects to place any sitemaps inside
of their CVS repository (maybe they will have no objections, but we'll have
to convience them to do it)

* How Forrest will work
	Forrest pulls content of the target project from CVS and then builds
it (details are not defined yet) using Cocoon

* Solutions:
	1) Split the sitemap into sub-sitemaps for every functionality-area
for better maintainability then place them all in one directory in Forrest
(outside if the particular project content) and then mount them using 'src'
paths that points to correct paths inside of the content

	2) Use Ant to copy the subsitemaps to target directories inside of
the content (can be configurable for every project)

	3) Leave as it is: a single huge sitemap

	4) Ask for every project to provide its own sitemaps

So, the new question is: what are your opinions on the above solutions.

Konstantin

P.S. Sorry for cross-posting, I think it can be also interesting to Forrest
people that are not subscribed to cocoon-dev.