Posted to dev@ratis.apache.org by Uma gangumalla <um...@apache.org> on 2020/12/01 07:49:47 UTC

[VOTE] Graduate Apache Ratis as TLP

Dear Community:

Thanks to everyone who participated in the discussion about graduation[1].
This is a formal voting thread for Apache Ratis graduation.

If this vote passes, the next step would be to submit the resolution below
to the Incubator PMC, Then it would vote on sending it on to the Apache
Board.

Vote:
[ ] +1 - Recommend graduation of Apache Ratis as a TLP
[ ]  0 - I don't feel strongly about it, but don't object
[ ] -1 - Do not recommend graduation of Apache Ratis because...

The VOTE will open for at least 72 hours.

We already ran this vote[2] in a private list and it passed there with 14
binding votes. Here is the opportunity for all community members to
participate in voting and provide your feedback if any.

The Apache Ratis project has been an Apache incubator project for nearly 3
year now. Since then the community has grown and followed Apache Way. Some
highlights include:
* 7 releases given ( including 1.0.0 alpha and 0.0.1 alpha ) by having
different people as release managers
* 34 contributors ( from GitHub)
* 27 committers
* 1161 Jiras created, 905 resolved or closed
* 293 pull requests in github
* One of the biggest positives for this community is that most of the
members in this community have a lot of experience in other Apache projects
already.

Some additional note about the resolution below:
The current PPMC will be transitioned to the PMC. We have invited some of
the mentors in the current PPMC who like to stay involved.
We are also adding Siddharth and Jie Wang into PMC as we believe they are
committed to the project and a good addition to PMC.

Below is the text for board resolution:

Establish the Apache Ratis Project

WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best interests of
the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's purpose to establish
a Project Management Committee charged with the creation and maintenance
of open-source software, for distribution at no charge to the public,
related to A java implementation for RAFT consensus protocol.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management Committee
(PMC), to be known as the "Apache Ratis Project", be and hereby is
established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Ratis Project be and hereby is responsible for
the creation and maintenance of software related to A java
implementation for RAFT consensus protocol; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Ratis" be and
hereby is created, the person holding such office to serve at the
direction of the Board of Directors as the chair of the Apache Ratis
Project, and to have primary responsibility for management of the
projects within the scope of responsibility of the Apache Ratis Project;
and be it further

RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and hereby are
appointed to serve as the initial members of the Apache Ratis Project:

 * Anu Engineer         <ae...@apache.org> [Hadoop, Ozone PMC,
Incubator Committer]
 * Arpit Agarwal        <ar...@apache.org> [ ASF Member, Hadoop, Ozone,
Incubator PMC]
 * Enis Soztutar        <en...@apache.org> [ASF Member, Hadoop, HBase,
Incubator PMC and also PMC in curator, gora, phoenix]
 * Hanisha Koneru       <ha...@apache.org> [Hadoop, Ozone PMC,
Incubator Committer]
 * Jie Wang             <ru...@apache.org> [Incubator, Ozone Committer]
 * Jing Zhao            <ji...@apache.org> [Hadoop PMC, Incubator Committer]
 * Jitendra Nath Pandey <ji...@apache.org>  [ASF Member, Hadoop, Ozone,
Incubator PMC and also PMC in ambari, atlas, tez]
 * Josh Elser           <el...@apache.org>  [ASF Member, HBase, Incubator
PMC, and also PMC in accumulo, calcite, fluo, phoenix, rya]
 * Lokesh Jain          <lj...@apache.org> [Hadoop, Ozone PMC, Incubator
Committer]
 * Marton Elek          <el...@apache.org>  [Hadoop, Ozone PMC, Incubator
Committer]
 * Mingliang Liu        <li...@apache.org>  [Hadoop PMC, Incubator
Committer]
 * Mukul Kumar Singh    <ms...@apache.org>  [Hadoop, Ozone PMC, Incubator
Committer]
 * Shashikant Banerjee  <sh...@apache.org> [Hadoop, Ozone PMC,
Incubator Committer]
 * Siddharth Wagle      <sw...@apache.org>  [Ambari, Ozone PMC, Hadoop,
Incubator Committer]
 * Tsz-wo Sze           <sz...@apache.org>  [ASF Member, Hadoop, Ozone
PMC, Incubator Committer]
 * Uma Maheswara Rao G  <um...@apache.org> [ASF Member, Hadoop, Ozone,
Incubator PMC and PMC in bookkeeper, carbondata]
 * Xiaoyu Yao           <xy...@apache.org>  [Hadoop, Ozone PMC, Incubator
Committer]

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Tsz-wo Sze be appointed to
the office of Vice President, Apache Ratis, to serve in accordance with
and subject to the direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of
the Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal or
disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache Ratis Project be and hereby is tasked with the
migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator Ratis podling; and
be it further

RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache Incubator
Ratis podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator PMC are hereafter
discharged.

Uma

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rf79376a1e92181e52c1185d2a65625bf1afe81dc838977f842289221%40%3Cprivate.ratis.apache.org%3E

[2] https://s.apache.org/of6c1  [ only PMC can view it]
Resolution text in wiki:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/RATIS/Apache+Ratis+as+TLP+-+Board+resolution+text

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache Ratis as TLP

Posted by Shashikant Banerjee <sb...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
+1 - Recommend graduation of Apache Ratis as a TLP

Thanks
Shashi

Posted by Mingliang Liu <li...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jing Zhao <zh...@gmail.com>.