Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by surfshack66 <an...@gmail.com> on 2017/08/17 19:34:07 UTC

Connection Error

Hi - I am able to connect via RDP but after a few seconds I receive an error
saying the server took too long to respond.

Here is my nginx reverse proxy config.
server {
	listen 443 ssl;

	root /config/www;
	index index.html index.htm index.php;

	server_name sub1.domain.com;

	ssl_certificate /config/keys/letsencrypt/fullchain.pem;
	ssl_certificate_key /config/keys/letsencrypt/privkey.pem;
	ssl_dhparam /config/nginx/dhparams.pem;
	ssl_prefer_server_ciphers on;

	client_max_body_size 0;

	location / {
#		auth_basic "Restricted";
#		auth_basic_user_file /config/nginx/.htpasswd;
#		include /config/nginx/proxy.conf;
		proxy_pass http://192.168.1.2:8162/;
		proxy_buffering off;
		proxy_http_version 1.1;
		proxy_set_header Upgrade $http_upgrade;
		proxy_set_header Connection $http_connection;
		access_log off;
	}
}

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Re: Connection Error

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 10:46 AM, surfshack66 <an...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Unfortunately, I'm still having this issue where the connection drops
> (receive an error) due to the corporate network interfering. I don't
> understand how it could be or what to do now, but any help would be
> appreciated as I would love to get this working.

It's hard to say - it sounds to me like the connection is failing between
the Guacamole Server (guacd) and the RDP server, and not between the
Guacamole Client and the Guacamole Server.  I'm not certain about that,
it's just what I gather from the error you're getting.  I don't know if the
Guacamole Server is on the same subnet as the RDP server, or if it's
possible for you to move the Guacamole Server "closer" to the RDP server
(not physical proximity, just fewer hops/firewalls in between) and see if
that helps.  Without knowing what kind of firewalling/filtering is being
done across the network, types of links in place, etc., it's going to be
hard to pinpoint what's going on.

-Nick

Re: Connection Error

Posted by surfshack66 <an...@gmail.com>.

--
Sent from: http://apache-guacamole-incubating-users.2363388.n4.nabble.com/

Re: Connection Error

Posted by surfshack66 <an...@gmail.com>.
I do not see the issue on my work laptop anymore if I use a different
(non-work) network. The antivirus/url filtering services were disabled, but
when I was on the corp network I received the same guac error, so it seems
those services weren't the issue.

--
Sent from: http://apache-guacamole-incubating-users.2363388.n4.nabble.com/

Re: Connection Error

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>.
On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 4:05 PM, surfshack66 <an...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Its a work laptop and I believe there is antivirus software on it but I
> cannot change any settings. I didnt think that would be a problem
> considering the domain I use is https with ssl, so it can't scan web
> traffic?

While that's true in most cases, it depends on the software used. If the
antivirus software implements this scanning via browser extensions, it will
likely be able to intercept and meddle with traffic after the browser has
handled decryption. It's also not unheard of for corporate proxies to do
full-blown man-in-the-middle of all SSL connections, relying on their own
root certificate having been installed on all employees' computers.

Do you see the same issue when using a non-work laptop without such
software present?

- Mike

Re: Connection Error

Re: Connection Error

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>.
On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 3:30 PM, surfshack66 <an...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Yes, I see a remote desktop display and it does respond to keyboard/mouse
> input albeit very slow.

Is there another proxy between your browser and the Nginx proxy in front of
Guacamole?

On the machine you're connecting from, do you perchance have antivirus
software which intercepts and scans web traffic?

- Mike

Re: Connection Error

Posted by surfshack66 <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Connection Error

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>.
On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 3:20 PM, surfshack66 <an...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> The error came from Guacamole
>
> "The connection has been closed because the server is taking too long to
> respond..."
>
> I'm able to connect, but it disconnects after a few seconds.

When the connection is established and it has not yet disconnected, do you
a remote desktop display, or does the display remain black?

If you see a remote desktop display, does it respond to mouse/keyboard
input prior to disconnecting?

- Mike

Re: Connection Error

Re: Connection Error

Posted by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org>.
On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 12:34 PM, surfshack66 <an...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi - I am able to connect via RDP but after a few seconds I receive an
> error
> saying the server took too long to respond.
>
> Here is my nginx reverse proxy config.

What was the error specifically? Did the error come from Guacamole, or was
it an error from Nginx?

- Mike

Re: Connection Error

Posted by surfshack66 <an...@gmail.com>.
Anything I can provide to help with the troubleshooting?