Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by fachhoch <fa...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/12 19:08:40 UTC

Re: too many apache digester logs

this is the output from my console lots of these logs

catalina.properties
<http://tomcat.10.x6.nabble.com/file/n5004650/catalina.properties>

consoleoutput.txt
<http://tomcat.10.x6.nabble.com/file/n5004650/consoleoutput.txt>

Attached  catalina.properties  and consoleoutput.txt
Please advice.

Re: too many apache digester logs

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

here you go : http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Re: too many apache digester logs

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.

> catalina.properties
> <http://tomcat.10.x6.nabble.com/file/n5004650/catalina.properties>
>

> consoleoutput.txt
> <http://tomcat.10.x6.nabble.com/file/n5004650/consoleoutput.txt>

Citing from that consoleoutput.txt, for future readers:
[[[
Sep 12, 2013 1:04:10 PM org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester startElement
FINE:   New match='web-app/servlet-mapping'
Sep 12, 2013 1:04:10 PM org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester startElement
FINE:   Fire begin() for CallMethodRule[methodName=addServletMapping,
paramCount=2, paramTypes={java.lang.String, java.lang.String}]
Sep 12, 2013 1:04:10 PM org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester pushParams
FINER: Pushing params
Sep 12, 2013 1:04:10 PM org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester characters
FINE: characters(
        )

]]]

2013/9/13 fachhoch <fa...@gmail.com>:
> Thanks for your reply , I attached my loggin.properties   logging.properties
> <http://tomcat.10.x6.nabble.com/file/n5004666/logging.properties>   please
> tell me what is wrong in this .

1. The rules

http://tomcat.apache.org/lists.html#tomcat-users
"7. (...) Do not send attachments."

2. Why do you have the following lines in your logging.properties?

org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.level = INFO
org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester.level = INFO

Those won't result in such output, but maybe they had different values before.

(That is maybe you are looking at a wrong logging.properties file, or
at a stale log file. Did you restart Tomcat after changing the
configuration?)

3. Logging can be configured not only globally but at web application
level as well. That is done by placing a "logging.properties" file on
the classpath (usually in app's WEB-INF/classes).

If any of libraries used by your web application have such
"logging.properties" file, it will interfere with webapp's logging
configuration. I have seen such a broken library once.

Logging can also be reconfigured at runtime via java.util.logging API.

Try to (un)deploy web applications one-by-one to see if this debug
message persists.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: too many apache digester logs

Posted by fachhoch <fa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot for all your help.

Re: too many apache digester logs

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Konstantin,

On 9/16/13 10:17 AM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
> 2013/9/16 Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>:
>> On 9/13/13 10:08 PM, fachhoch wrote:
>>> One more interesting thing I added  this server to my eclispe
>>> IDE and run from eclipse I don't get   digester logs , but when
>>> run from console  lots of digester logs.
>>
>> This corroborates my sense that your configuration is either
>> incorrect or not actually being read.
>>
>> I can't seem to find any information about how to get JULI into
>> "debug" mode itself (e.g. dump information about the log config
>> itself, and not just writing debug statements from other code).
>> If you can figure that out, it would be very helpful to diagnose
>> your problem.
>>
>> Perhaps someone else on the list knows how to get JULI into debug
>> mode?
>>

> 1. My guess is that there is "logging.properties" file somewhere
> in the webapp's classpath, as I mentioned.
>
> Apparently there is no internal logging in JULI (apart logging
> some unexpected errors), but you may a) run with a debugger (see
> Tomcat FAQ), b) recompile it with whatever debug statements you
> need.
>
> The configuration is loaded in
> org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager#readConfiguration(ClassLoader).

I've

added some code to ClassLoaderLogManager to dump the URL where
logging.properties is being found to System.err. You can enable this
logging in Tomcat 8 (RC2+) and Tomcat 7.0.43 (not yet released) by
setting the system property
"org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager=true" and restarting Tomcat.

- -chris

Re: too many apache digester logs

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
2013/9/16 Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>:
> On 9/13/13 10:08 PM, fachhoch wrote:
>> One more interesting thing I added  this server to my eclispe IDE
>> and run from eclipse I don't get   digester logs , but when run
>> from console  lots of digester logs.
>
> This corroborates my sense that your configuration is either incorrect
> or not actually being read.
>
> I can't seem to find any information about how to get JULI into
> "debug" mode itself (e.g. dump information about the log config
> itself, and not just writing debug statements from other code). If you
> can figure that out, it would be very helpful to diagnose your problem.
>
> Perhaps someone else on the list knows how to get JULI into debug mode?

1. My guess is that there is "logging.properties" file somewhere in
the webapp's classpath,
as I mentioned.

Apparently there is no internal logging in JULI (apart logging some
unexpected errors), but you may a) run with a debugger (see Tomcat
FAQ), b) recompile it with whatever debug statements you need.

The configuration is loaded in
org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager#readConfiguration(ClassLoader).

2. When you start Tomcat from within Eclipse IDE, by default it does
not use Tomcat's org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager,  but JRE's
default java.util.logging.LogManager. Thus you are not using JULI.

That is because Eclipse by default does not provide
"-Djava.util.logging.manager" and "-Djava.util.logging.config.file"
arguments to the JVM that it launches for Tomcat. Those are
configurable.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko

Re: too many apache digester logs

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: too many apache digester logs

Posted by fachhoch <fa...@gmail.com>.
Are you sure the file you posted is actually conf/logging.properties?   Yes

Are you sure you aren't using log4j or some other logger? If so,
conf/logging.properties is not the right file to be editing.

My app uses log4j and it has log4j.xml  also in this file    digester to log
only error

Do you have a logging.properties file anywhere else? For instance,  in a
webapp somewhere?

Not in  my app but possible it might be in some jar file ,my project is huge
it has lot of libs may be one of the lib has it

Did you re-start Tomcat after making those changes?   yes .

Are you sure you launched the correct Tomcat (in case you have
multiple instances installed/running)?   Yes

One more interesting thing I added  this server to my eclispe IDE and run
from eclipse I don't get   digester logs , but when run from console  lots
of digester logs.

Please advice  and thanks a lot for your reply.

Re: too many apache digester logs

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Fachhoch,

On 9/12/13 9:31 PM, fachhoch wrote:
> Thanks for your reply , I attached my loggin.properties
> logging.properties
> <http://tomcat.10.x6.nabble.com/file/n5004666/logging.properties>
> please tell me what is wrong in this .

Several things:

1. Please don't "attach" files to your posts. I see you are using
Nabble, which nicely provides links to these attachments, but going to
a separate website to read your attachments is inconvenient. Also, if
I want to show you what the problem is, I have to go back and
copy/paste parts of it back into a response. Just drop these things
in-line into your message.

2. I can see that you have these relevant lines in
conf/logging.properties:

> org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.level = INFO
> org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester.level = INFO

... and you have this in your log file:

> Sep 12, 2013 1:04:10 PM org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester
> startElement FINE:   New match='web-app/servlet-mapping'

Your configuration seems correct to me, so something else must be
wrong. A few dumb questions:

1. Are you sure the file you posted is actually conf/logging.properties?

2. Are you sure you aren't using log4j or some other logger? If so,
conf/logging.properties is not the right file to be editing.

3. Do you have a logging.properties file anywhere else? For instance,
in a webapp somewhere?

4. Did you re-start Tomcat after making those changes?

5. Are you sure you launched the correct Tomcat (in case you have

Posted by fachhoch <fa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.