Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by David Bertoni <db...@apache.org> on 2006/03/17 02:47:12 UTC

Re: Application stuck in creating XercesDOMParser object

Mollyn, Priya wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are using Xerces C++ Parser 2.6 version, and are noticing high cpu
> issue, and when we attach gdb, it is pointing to malloc in
> XercesDOMParser object creation. Has anyone seen this issue ? Any idea
> on how to fix this ? The issue is intermittent, not easy to reproduce,
> but so far happened couple of times already. Once this issue happens,
> the process seems to be stuck doing nothing.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>

> (gdb) where
>
> #0  0x005fd304 in malloc_consolidate () from /lib/tls/libc.so.6

This looks like the memory manager is spending time consolidating the
heap, which indicates your application is suffering from heap fragmentation.

It's difficult to know how you could fix this problem without knowing
the details of how your application, and that's beyond the scope of this
mailing list.

If you are creating and destroying lots of XercesDOMParser and DOM
instances, you might try caching these instances and reusing them, to
see if that helps.

On the other hand, the fragmentation could be caused by something in
your application which is not at all connected to Xerces-C.

Dave