Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org> on 2004/03/09 02:20:29 UTC

ECM facility

I've just committed some content into the merlin/facility directory
dealing with a pull-based service finder implementation.  This commit is
dealing with two things:

   (a) an example of the addition of a semantic extension to
       merlin without modification or extension to the container
       through the definition of a "finder" facility - the facility
       specifically address dynamic pull-based service activation
       (as per ECM and Fortress)

   (b) an experimental implementation of a ECM component - in
       particular a component that exposes the ServiceManager as
       its service interface

         - configurable with an ECM config file
         - dependent on a finder service
         - dependent on a RoleManager

       this RoleManager encapsulates the construction of a formal
       meta model implied by the ECM object model - in particular,
       the definition of the Role and Hint immutable data types

I've also put in place a test framework that will enable the testing and
validation of a client invoking runtime requests for services backed by
standard components (full meta-descriptors), together with ECM style
solutions.

I'm not at the point where I need to start dealing with service requires
- and that means putting some content into some of the ecm component
service methods - but more importantly - code dealing with the
transformation of an ECM lookup argument into something that makes sense
to the finder service is where the real ECM semantics will be captured.

The code is committed under:

    avalon/merlin/facilities/finder

This is composed of the following sub projects:

    * api  - definition of a Finder service interface
    * impl - definition of a default finder implementation
             that dynamically resolves services using
             avalon-composition
    * ecm  - skeleton implementation of an ECM service provider
             that deals with pure ECM role files and related
             configuration content
    * test - an initial test framework

At this point any help (code, tests, opinions, etc.) would be *very*
much appreciated.

Cheers, Steve.

p.s. content is very initial
scope and potential for change is wide open

Re: ECM facility

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> I had a quick glance at your finder stuff but are absolutely clueless
> what I should do with it :) I guess from your description that if this
> finder is used inside Merlin I can use the ECM configuration files
> for defining my components. Is this right?

Sort of - the finder is just a privileged component running under (not
in) Merlin.  The main ting is that there is an ECM component that
declares a dependency on:

   (a) the finder component
   (b) a RoleManager component

Merlin will do what is necessary to startup the ECM component on demand.

> Is there any sample etc. that shows how to start Merlin including
> the finder?

Yep - its included in the /test directory..

First of all there is a block description which is supplied to merlin.
The block description declares the components that merlin should deploy.
In this scenario it includes the finder, a role manager (with a roles
configuration, and an ecm component with a master configuration.  The
block.xml can be found in /test/conf/block.xml.

There is a testcase the launches merlin using block.xml as the
definition of the application scenario.  The testcase does not currently
do much apart fro setting up the environment for doing a real test once
the implementation logic is put in place in under the ECM component.

Details for building are included in

    merlin/facilities/finder/README.txt

Initial documentation is available here:

    http://avalon.apache.org/finder/

And javadocs here:

    http://avalon.apache.org/finder/api/index.html

Cheers, Stephen.

Re: ECM facility

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.
[repost with correct recipient list]
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> I had a quick glance at your finder stuff but are absolutely clueless
> what I should do with it :) I guess from your description that if this
> finder is used inside Merlin I can use the ECM configuration files
> for defining my components. Is this right?

Sort of - the finder is just a privileged component running under (not
in) Merlin.  The main thing is that there is an ECM component that
declares a dependency on:

   (a) the finder component
   (b) a RoleManager component

Merlin will do what is necessary to startup the ECM component on demand.

> Is there any sample etc. that shows how to start Merlin including
> the finder?

Yep - its included in the /test directory.

First of all there is a block description which is supplied to merlin.
The block description declares the components that merlin should deploy.
In this scenario it includes the finder, a role manager (with a roles
configuration, and the ECM component with a master configuration.  The

Re: ECM facility

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

RE: ECM facility

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.