Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Vinicius Caldeira Carvalho <vi...@squadra.com.br> on 2005/03/30 14:02:52 UTC

Re: Chain : [Digester] Empty stack (returning null) : found a bug

Martin Cooper wrote:

>On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 18:33:49 -0300, Vinicius Caldeira Carvalho
><vi...@squadra.com.br> wrote:
>

>>Hello there! I'm trying to use commons chains on my project. Here's a
>>piece of my web.xml:
>>
>><context-param>
>>  <param-name>org.apache.commons.chain.CONFIG_CLASS_RESOURCE</param-name>
>>  <param-value>catalog.xml</param-value>
>></context-param>
>>
>><listener>
>>
>><listener-class>org.apache.commons.chain.web.ChainListener</listener-class>
>></listener>
>>
>>My catalog.xml is located inside web-inf/classes
>>
>>here's how it looks like:
>>
>><chains>
>>

>This is the problem. There is no <chains> element; you want <catalog> instead.
>
>(It seems there is a bug in the cookbook where it uses <chains>. I
>will fix that.)
>
>--
>Martin Cooper
>

>>    <chain name="validarRegraCompraPlanoCobertura">
>>        <command
>>className="com.araujo.convenios.view.administrarregracompra.action.commands.InitSalvarRegraCompraCommand"/>
>>        <command
>>className="com.araujo.convenios.view.administrarregracompra.action.commands.RemoveItensCommand"/>
>>
>>        <command
>>className="com.araujo.convenios.view.administrarregracompra.action.commands.AssembleUpdateRegraCompraCommand"/>
>>    </chain>
>></chains>
>>
>>Ok. So I start my app on jboss 4.0.1. It outputs:
>>
>>18:26:18,470 INFO  [ChainListener] Initializing chain listener
>>18:26:18,720 WARN  [Digester] Empty stack (returning null)
>>
>>Well, so I guess It wasn't able to load the catalog right? When trying
>>to load the catalog from webcontext it returns null. Any ideas please?
>>
>>Best regards
>>
>>Vinicius

Well, sorry there were a chains element, it wasnt cut and pasted sorry
I figure out the problem after looking at the source code. There's a
"bug" with the chains.
On the cookbook it says you don't need to declare the name which your
catalog will be stored on the servlet context. But, if you don't it
won't store it (I saw the code) So I added :
<context-param>
    <param-name>org.apache.commons.chain.CONFIG_ATTR</param-name>
    <param-value>catalog</param-value>
</context-param>
to my web.xml and it started working.
I though one would be interested in knowing this ;)

Regards

Vinicius

Re: Chain : [Digester] Empty stack (returning null) : found a bug

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:02:52 -0300, Vinicius Caldeira Carvalho
<vi...@squadra.com.br> wrote:
> Martin Cooper wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 18:33:49 -0300, Vinicius Caldeira Carvalho
> ><vi...@squadra.com.br> wrote:
> >

> >>Hello there! I'm trying to use commons chains on my project. Here's a
> >>piece of my web.xml:
> >>
> >><context-param>
> >>  <param-name>org.apache.commons.chain.CONFIG_CLASS_RESOURCE</param-name>
> >>  <param-value>catalog.xml</param-value>
> >></context-param>
> >>
> >><listener>
> >>
> >><listener-class>org.apache.commons.chain.web.ChainListener</listener-class>
> >></listener>
> >>
> >>My catalog.xml is located inside web-inf/classes
> >>
> >>here's how it looks like:
> >>
> >><chains>
> >>

> >This is the problem. There is no <chains> element; you want <catalog> instead.
> >
> >(It seems there is a bug in the cookbook where it uses <chains>. I
> >will fix that.)
> >
> >--
> >Martin Cooper
> >

> >>    <chain name="validarRegraCompraPlanoCobertura">
> >>        <command
> >>className="com.araujo.convenios.view.administrarregracompra.action.commands.InitSalvarRegraCompraCommand"/>
> >>        <command
> >>className="com.araujo.convenios.view.administrarregracompra.action.commands.RemoveItensCommand"/>
> >>
> >>        <command
> >>className="com.araujo.convenios.view.administrarregracompra.action.commands.AssembleUpdateRegraCompraCommand"/>
> >>    </chain>
> >></chains>
> >>
> >>Ok. So I start my app on jboss 4.0.1. It outputs:
> >>
> >>18:26:18,470 INFO  [ChainListener] Initializing chain listener
> >>18:26:18,720 WARN  [Digester] Empty stack (returning null)
> >>
> >>Well, so I guess It wasn't able to load the catalog right? When trying
> >>to load the catalog from webcontext it returns null. Any ideas please?
> >>
> >>Best regards
> >>
> >>Vinicius

> Well, sorry there were a chains element, it wasnt cut and pasted sorry
> I figure out the problem after looking at the source code. There's a
> "bug" with the chains.
> On the cookbook it says you don't need to declare the name which your
> catalog will be stored on the servlet context. But, if you don't it
> won't store it (I saw the code) So I added :
> <context-param>
>     <param-name>org.apache.commons.chain.CONFIG_ATTR</param-name>
>     <param-value>catalog</param-value>
> </context-param>
> to my web.xml and it started working.
> I though one would be interested in knowing this ;)

Thanks. I've checked in a fix to the cookbook that will show up the
next time the site is refreshed.

--
Martin Cooper