Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/20 13:48:37 UTC

[PROPOSAL] drop old upgrade code

LS,

In coverity the only remaining high impact issues are concerned with
upgrade code. Some of it is in 4.3 and 4.5 code but most in pre-4
upgrades.

I addressed the file Upgrade218to22.java in a PR [1] and I move that
we don't pull it but instead drop the file altogether together with
all upgrade code dating prior to 4.0.0. anybody on older versions can
still upgrade to any version between 4.0 and 4.5 and move on from
there.

My objective is to have no high impact issues remaining so we clearly
see when we are digressing beit by hand or in  an automated way.

+1?

[1] https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/603
--
Daan

Re: [PROPOSAL] drop old upgrade code

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
I am glad this has led to some discussion.

I do not take a strong position into how we solve the issue but want
to make sure we deal with this old code in some way. In terms of
justifying the work to my sponsor, I cannot (or do not want to) afford
to clean all of it nor to investigate into the exact amount of users
still on old versions.

The reason I choose this approach is practical: our present db scheme
is the 4.0.0 scheme with upgrades applied on it. As it is the most
practical/easiest I still stand by it, in full recognition of the
documentation need of course.

At present the opinions seem to be to diverse to get to concensus but
I am sure that is only appearance.
Talking of a 5.0 is there and it seems sensible but a long way. It
makes sense to me to not stop improving the overall quality of the
project untill then and this code is one item we should address. 5.0
is going to involve the API as well.

ignoring defects on coverity would be fine safe that we should then
also make sure the code is not run and specially not copy&pasted.

just some extra oil to burn,
Daan

Posted by Boris Schrijver <bo...@pcextreme.nl>.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.
-1 I disagree and shared some of the reasons on the PR.

We may need to ask on users@ to see if there are any users on 2.x or 3.x to find if there are any users on these old versions which should be supported because we can decide to remove 2.x/3.x upgrade paths.

On 20-Jul-2015, at 5:59 pm, Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>> wrote:

On 20-07-15 13:48, Daan Hoogland wrote:
LS,

In coverity the only remaining high impact issues are concerned with
upgrade code. Some of it is in 4.3 and 4.5 code but most in pre-4
upgrades.

I addressed the file Upgrade218to22.java in a PR [1] and I move that
we don't pull it but instead drop the file altogether together with
all upgrade code dating prior to 4.0.0. anybody on older versions can
still upgrade to any version between 4.0 and 4.5 and move on from
there.

My objective is to have no high impact issues remaining so we clearly
see when we are digressing beit by hand or in  an automated way.

+1?

+1 I don't see a reason to keep supporting these ancient upgrade paths.

Wido

[1] https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/pull/603

Regards,
Rohit Yadav
Software Architect, ShapeBlue

[cid:9DD97B41-04C5-45F0-92A7-951F3E962F7A]

M. +91 88 262 30892 | rohit.yadav@shapeblue.com<ma...@shapeblue.com>
Blog: bhaisaab.org<http://bhaisaab.org> | Twitter: @_bhaisaab

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error. Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.

RE: [PROPOSAL] drop old upgrade code

Posted by Kishan Kavala <Ki...@citrix.com>.
-1 on dropping old upgrade code.

I prefer skipping old upgrade paths during coverity scan instead of removing the code altogether.
Even with multi-step upgrade, user will be forced to register system templates multiple times (once for every step).
Agree with John regarding the need to establish a standard upgrade policy.

Posted by John Burwell <jo...@shapeblue.com>.
Daan,

[...]

---

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

Posted by Wido den Hollander <wi...@widodh.nl>.

On 07/21/2015 06:01 PM, Somesh Naidu wrote:
> +1
>
> Reasons:
> 1. Technically speaking, Apache Cloudstack never had version less than 4.0. But even if they are considered they would be EOL'd at some point.
> 2. At some point the feature set disparity between version will make it really complex to have direct upgrade paths.
> 3. As Daan mentioned, 2.x and 3.x users can still upgrade to 4.6+ using a multi-step approach (upgrading to 4.3/4.5 first).

+1 I agree. Imho prior to 4.0 isn't really something we want to support.

Upgrade to 4.0 first and then go to a ACS release.

Wido

Posted by Erik Weber <te...@gmail.com>.
As a user, I'd say +1.