Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Tandecki, Lutz" <lu...@siemens.com> on 2006/03/24 13:52:28 UTC

Nested dirs

Hello,

I want to check out only part of my repository tree, because I don't
need
the whole tree for my development.

So I check out my root node with the option "Only check out the top
folder",
because I need the files, that reside directly in the root.
After that I check out my subdirs into that checked out root.

When I do so, the checked out subdirs are shown as "nested" if I do
"check for
modifications" in the root. Therefore I can not commit my root node. I
must do
this for every single subdir.

Also, the root dir icon in TortoiseSVN does not turn red, if I do
changes in
my subdirs.

Looking in root\.svn\entries, I do not find the checked out subdirs.
Why not? How can I tell the root that it has the subdirs as entries?
Couldn't this be done by svn while checking out a subdir into its
rootdir?

Hope you can understand my problem.

Greetings, Lutz.

Re: Nested dirs

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 24, 2006, at 14:52, Tandecki, Lutz wrote:

> I want to check out only part of my repository tree, because I don't
> need the whole tree for my development.
>
> So I check out my root node with the option "Only check out the top
> folder", because I need the files, that reside directly in the root.

So you did "svn checkout -N url://to/repository. Fine.

> After that I check out my subdirs into that checked out root.

Wrong. "svn checkout" creates separate working copies, which is not
what you want. You want to "svn update foo bar" where "foo" and "bar"
are the directories whose content you now want to populate.

> Also, the root dir icon in TortoiseSVN does not turn red, if I do
> changes in my subdirs.

Don't know anything about TortoiseSVN; you'll have to ask on their
mailing list.