Posted to user@storm.apache.org by Veder Lope <ad...@gmail.com> on 2014/07/14 14:11:40 UTC

Does Storm support JDK7 ??

Storm is a great project!!! We are trying to build a project, where Storm
holds a crucial role in our architecture.

As I see in pom.xml (in maven-compiler-plugin), source and target are set
to Java 1.6.
1) Is Storm compatible with JDK7?
2) I know we can download Storm (build for JDK6) and run it using JDK7, but
there are a few incompatibilities* between JDK7 and JDK6. Will these
incompatibilities affect Storm or not?
3) Do you plan to move to JDK7?
4) What is the restriction that holds are back to JDK6? (we are now stuck
to JDK6 compile and runtime because of Storm)
5) Can we just build Storm with JDK7 (alter both source and target in
pom.xml) and then use JDK7 for runtime or not? Have you seen any errors
with this road?

*incompatibilities: Check this:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/compatibility-417013.html#incompatibilities

Regards,
Adrianos Dadis.

Re: Does Storm support JDK7 ??

Posted by "P. Taylor Goetz" <pt...@gmail.com>.
Source and target are set to 1.6 to ensure backward compatibility for those who, for whatever reason, need to use Java 1.6.

1. Yes, Storm is compatible with JDK 7.
2. No.
3. I imagine this will happen at some point. But there’s nothing to stop you from running Storm with JDK 7.
4. No restriction. For now we do not rely on any JDK 7-specific features, so providing backward compatibility with 1.6 is a no-brainer.
5. Storm binary releases are compatible with JDK 6 and 7, both Oracle and OpenJDK. There’s no need to recompile.

- Taylor

Re: Does Storm support JDK7 ??

Posted by Adrianos Dadis <ad...@gmail.com>.
We will use latest JDK7.