Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@amberpoint.com> on 2006/04/28 16:25:20 UTC

Question about Fix Version tracking for 10.1 porting

In the TenOneThreeRelease page on the Wiki, it says:

# Mark the issue resolved only after the fix is in both the trunk and 10.1 branch.
   The fixin fields should be marked as

     * 10.1.3.0 - So that it will be in the bug fix release release notes.
     * 10.1.2.x - As shown by sysinfo on the 10.1 branch
     * 10.2.0.x - As shown by sysinfo on the trunk

I don't understand why there are to be 3 fix versions. I understand
the 10.2.0.x fix version; that is the one for the fix in the trunk.

I thought I would just be setting the Fix Version to an additional
10.1.3.0 when I merge a fix to the 10.1 branch.

Why is there also a Fix Version of 10.1.2.x (10.1.2.4, currently)?

thanks,

bryan

Re: Question about Fix Version tracking for 10.1 porting

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On 4/28/06, Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> The 10.1.2.x   version is the  snapshot version where the  issue is fixed.
> The 10.1.3.0  version is the maintenance releease version where the
> issue is fixed.
>
> So, for instance if we post a snapshot release next week (which I think
> would be a *really*  good idea)

I am planning on posting two snapshots between now and the release
candidate, but I wanted to give a little more time for merging and
fixes before posting a new snapshot, though. I was thinking of posting
the first one late next week or the following Monday (May 5-8) and
then the next one somewhere in the week of May 22-26 before I'm away
on vacation. That seems like a good interval between the snapshots and
the release candidate in the second week of June.

andrew

Re: Question about Fix Version tracking for 10.1 porting

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
Bryan Pendleton wrote:

> In the TenOneThreeRelease page on the Wiki, it says:
>
> # Mark the issue resolved only after the fix is in both the trunk and
> 10.1 branch.
>   The fixin fields should be marked as
>
>     * 10.1.3.0 - So that it will be in the bug fix release release notes.
>     * 10.1.2.x - As shown by sysinfo on the 10.1 branch
>     * 10.2.0.x - As shown by sysinfo on the trunk
>
> I don't understand why there are to be 3 fix versions. I understand
> the 10.2.0.x fix version; that is the one for the fix in the trunk.
>
> I thought I would just be setting the Fix Version to an additional
> 10.1.3.0 when I merge a fix to the 10.1 branch.
>
> Why is there also a Fix Version of 10.1.2.x (10.1.2.4, currently)?

The 10.1.2.x   version is the  snapshot version where the  issue is fixed.
The 10.1.3.0  version is the maintenance releease version where the
issue is fixed.

So, for instance if we post a snapshot release next week (which I think
would be a *really*  good idea),
it will be 10.1.2.4 and  will contain the following fixes  made since
the 10.1.2.3 snapshot:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=12310880&styleName=Html&projectId=10594&Create=Create

The fourth digit is bumped after every snapshot so the sysinfo version
represents the snapshot under development.

The third digit indicates that we have done some extra testing and are
certifying this as a maintenance release.  It gets bumped right at the
time we  make the release candidate.
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbySnapshotOrRelease for details.

Kathey