Posted to dev@ranger.apache.org by Hellmar Becker <be...@hellmar-becker.de> on 2015/01/13 09:46:13 UTC

Question about Ranger architecture

Good morning,

We are planning to use Ranger to secure our (Hortonworks based)
datalake at ING Bank. In this context, a few questions came up:

- I read that Ranger deploys plugins to the HDFS, Hive, and HBase
services that implement access control. Do these plugins run as
separate processes or more like dynamic libraries inside the main
service?
- What happens if one of the plugins goes down or becomes unavailable?
Will the services then be unsecured, or closed to all, or even unable
to run?

Kind regards,
Hellmar Becker

Hellmar Becker
Edmond Audranstraat 55
NL-3543BG Utrecht
mail: becker@hellmar-becker.de
mobile: +31 6 29986670

Re: Question about Ranger architecture

Posted by Alok Lal <al...@hortonworks.com>.
Let me build on to what Gautam has said, anticipating a question that you
may have given that our plugins run in-process.  Plugins do rely on the
policy manager (a Separate process running on some different machine on the
cluster) to get updates to policies.  What happens if a plugins can't read
the policy server?  The plugins keep a snapshot of last known valid set of
policies in a durable local cache and hence are resilient to network
partitions that may make policy manager unreachable.

Best,

--
"* ... there is nothing more secure then a computer which is not connected
to the network --- and powered off!...*" - from Kerberos Introduction

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Question about Ranger architecture

Posted by Gautam Borad <gb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Hellmar,

wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> We are planning to use Ranger to secure our (Hortonworks based) datalake
> at ING Bank. In this context, a few questions came up:
>
> - I read that Ranger deploys plugins to the HDFS, Hive, and HBase services
> that implement access control. Do these plugins run as separate processes
> or more like dynamic libraries inside the main service?

These plugins run as part of the component (namenode, master, etc)
processes. There is no separate process that is run.

> - What happens if one of the plugins goes down or becomes unavailable?
> Will the services then be unsecured, or closed to all, or even unable to
> run?

As mentioned above, since after installation the plugins are part of the
actual process, there is no scenario where the "plugins" will go down.

> Kind regards,
> Hellmar Becker

> Hellmar Becker
> Edmond Audranstraat 55