Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by ivanmarcus <iv...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2020/01/31 06:18:25 UTC

Install process for Apache Guacamole 1.1.0 on Ubuntu 18.04.3 server

Thanks for the new version of Guacamole :-)

I thought it might be useful to update the previous step-by-step install
detail I'd done for Guacamole 1.0.0 on Ubuntu 18.04.2 server.

The following worked for me in a new VM, but note that I installed
libpng-dev rather than libpng12-dev, seemingly with no detriment. Also I
didn't need to create a reduced-privilege user with writable home
directory as I understand has been required for some. That said my
testing has been brief and limited to one RDP session only, so YMMV...

---

su
apt-get install build-essential libcairo2-dev libjpeg-turbo8-dev
libpng-dev libtool-bin libossp-uuid-dev libavcodec-dev libavutil-dev
libswscale-dev freerdp2-dev libpango1.0-dev libssh2-1-dev libtelnet-dev
libvncserver-dev libwebsockets-dev libpulse-dev libssl-dev libvorbis-dev
libwebp-dev
apt-get install tomcat8 tomcat8-admin tomcat8-common tomcat8-user
cd /tmp
wget
https://www.apache.org/dist/guacamole/1.1.0/source/guacamole-server-1.1.0.tar.gz
tar -zxvf guacamole-server-1.1.0.tar.gz
cd guacamole-server-1.1.0
./configure --with-init-dir=/etc/init.d
make
make install
ldconfig
wget https://www.apache.org/dist/guacamole/1.1.0/binary/guacamole-1.1.0.war
mkdir /etc/guacamole
cp guacamole-1.1.0.war /etc/guacamole/guacamole.war
ln -s /etc/guacamole/guacamole.war /var/lib/tomcat8/webapps/
systemctl restart tomcat8
systemctl enable guacd
systemctl start guacd

# Above this line should work in standard auth mode, below is detail for
MySQL auth

su
cd /tmp
apt-get install mysql-server
apt-get install libmysql-java
wget
https://www.apache.org/dist/guacamole/1.1.0/binary/guacamole-auth-jdbc-1.1.0.tar.gz
tar -zxvf guacamole-auth-jdbc-1.1.0.tar.gz
mkdir /etc/guacamole/extensions
mkdir /etc/guacamole/lib
cp guacamole-auth-jdbc-1.1.0/mysql/guacamole-auth-jdbc-mysql-1.1.0.jar
/etc/guacamole/extensions/
nano /etc/guacamole/guacamole.properties

mysql-hostname: localhost
mysql-port: 3306
mysql-database: guacamole_db
mysql-username: guacamole_user
mysql-password:
(ctrl-x then y)

mysql -u root -p

create database guacamole_db;
create user 'guacamole_user'@'localhost' identified by '';
grant select,insert,update,delete on guacamole_db.* to
'guacamole_user'@'localhost';
flush privileges;
quit

cat guacamole-auth-jdbc-1.1.0/mysql/schema/*.sql | mysql -u root -p
guacamole_db
ln -s /usr/share/java/mysql-connector-java.jar /etc/guacamole/lib/
systemctl restart guacd
systemctl restart tomcat8.service

Go to http://<ip-address>:8080/guacamole
Default login guacadmin:guacadmin

Re: Install process for Apache Guacamole 1.1.0 on Ubuntu 18.04.3 server

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 5:54 AM David Barber <md...@aol.com.invalid> wrote:

> Nice job there ivanmarcus,
>
>   can i just ask is there a reason you are still favouring tomcat 8 over
> 9? (9 is quite mature now?)

From the project perspective, it just needs a JIRA issue, some testing to
make sure nothing breaks, and a pull request.  Personally I am not opposed
to moving the Docker image up to Tomcat 9, I just want to have people
validate that it works without any adverse effects, first.

-Nick

Re: Install process for Apache Guacamole 1.1.0 on Ubuntu 18.04.3 server

Posted by ivanmarcus <iv...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hi David,

No particular reason, other perhaps than that I'm fairly [very]
conservative and had no issues with Tomcat 8.

However I've just spun up a new VM and installed Guacamole+Tomcat 9, and
am writing this via that installation now. It should have some more
testing I suppose but at this stage it appears to be working fine.

I did nothing more than replace '8' with '9' in the list, but for
completeness and to save anyone else the need!:

---

su
apt-get install build-essential libcairo2-dev libjpeg-turbo8-dev
libpng-dev libtool-bin libossp-uuid-dev libavcodec-dev libavutil-dev
libswscale-dev freerdp2-dev libpango1.0-dev libssh2-1-dev libtelnet-dev
libvncserver-dev libwebsockets-dev libpulse-dev libssl-dev libvorbis-dev
libwebp-dev
apt-get install tomcat9 tomcat9-admin tomcat9-common tomcat9-user
cd /tmp
wget
https://www.apache.org/dist/guacamole/1.1.0/source/guacamole-server-1.1.0.tar.gz
tar -zxvf guacamole-server-1.1.0.tar.gz
cd guacamole-server-1.1.0
./configure --with-init-dir=/etc/init.d
make
make install
ldconfig
wget https://www.apache.org/dist/guacamole/1.1.0/binary/guacamole-1.1.0.war
mkdir /etc/guacamole
cp guacamole-1.1.0.war /etc/guacamole/guacamole.war
ln -s /etc/guacamole/guacamole.war /var/lib/tomcat9/webapps/
systemctl restart tomcat9
[...]

systemctl restart tomcat9.service

Posted by David Barber <md...@aol.com.INVALID>.
Nice job there ivanmarcus,