Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Gioele Barabucci <de...@gioelebarabucci.com> on 2005/03/26 14:39:52 UTC

Can you release a smaller subversion package?

The current subversion package (1.1.3 tar.bz2) is about 6MB while it could be
less than 3MB.

The package is so big because it includes some needed libraries (apr,
apr-utils, neon) and other files (the complete site in the www/ dir, the
compiled svnbook.{pdf, html} in the doc/book/book/ dir).

Can you please release a basic package along with this full-featured one?
It would contains the same files that are contained in the full package except
apr/, apr-util/, neon/, www/ and doc/book/.

A basic package would be just 3MB in size, cost nothing to you, and be a big
win for everybody with a limited bandwidth (read 56K).
A reduced source package would also save bandwidth (and space) for all the
distro that distribute SRPM packages.

--
/Gioele

Re: Can you release a smaller subversion package?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Mar 26, 2005, at 8:39 AM, Gioele Barabucci wrote:

> A basic package would be just 3MB in size, cost nothing to you, and be
> a big
> win for everybody with a limited bandwidth (read 56K).

The tradeoff, though, is that users downloading a 3MB package would
have to "know" to download apr, apr-util, and neon separately... or to
make sure they're already installed via other means (through an apache
installation, for example.)  How would we make sure they knew these
things?

I would expect a flood of new questions:  "which tarball should I get?
the big or the small one?"  Or even worse, "I tried to build the
source, and it can't find APR.  Do I need that too?  Where do I get it?
  Which version?"

The point of the tarball is to give a user everything he needs to
build.  If you need only 'pure' svn source, and are willing to grab all
the dependencies separately, then why grab a tarball at all?   Why not
just checkout the release tag?

Re: Can you release a smaller subversion package?

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Gioele Barabucci wrote:
> The current subversion package (1.1.3 tar.bz2) is about 6MB while it could
> be
> less than 3MB.
>
> The package is so big because it includes some needed libraries (apr,
> apr-utils, neon) and other files (the complete site in the www/ dir, the
> compiled svnbook.{pdf, html} in the doc/book/book/ dir).
>
> Can you please release a basic package along with this full-featured one?
> It would contains the same files that are contained in the full package
> except
> apr/, apr-util/, neon/, www/ and doc/book/.
>
> A basic package would be just 3MB in size, cost nothing to you, and be a
> big
> win for everybody with a limited bandwidth (read 56K).
> A reduced source package would also save bandwidth (and space) for all the
> distro that distribute SRPM packages.

I find "cost nothing to you" bit a little galling. The one-time
modifications to dist.sh aren't that big a deal, but there is then yet
another package that needs to be tested, gpg-signed and uploaded - for every
single release.

Ben has already pointed out the possible confusion that might be caused by
having 2 packages.

If bandwidth minimization is your goal, you would be better off keeping a
subversion working copy locally, which you can switch from tag to tag, thus
downloading only the changes between each release.

Max.