Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by RKP Atlantic Business Services <ro...@atlbiz.biz> on 2017/05/31 15:04:31 UTC

Java 8

Hi

No matter what I do. I have followed all the instructions to properly set
HOME_JAVA I still get the error that it's not properly set when I try to use
command ./gradlew loaddefaul ofbiz on my server in Linux ?

Please Advise

Ron Pomerleau

RKP Atlantic Business Services
 77 Callaghan Road,
Riverview,NB
E1B 4P1
506 870 8877
506 378 1245
506 383 0891
ron@atlbiz.biz
www.atlbiz.biz

Re: Parties/customers -- maybe no answer required

Posted by Paul Mandeltort <pa...@marcospec.com>.
> On May 31, 2017, at 12:16 PM, Craig Parker <cr...@fossfolks.com> wrote:
>
> If a computer repair business were using OFBiz, and one of their customers had several locations, how would OFBiz keep track of things like each location's public IP address, devices on each of those locations' LANs, with notes about each device (LAN address, username and pass in the case of a router, firewall, or server) and people to contact at each location.

I’d do:

Each Customer (Top level)- Party Group
Customer Location - Party, linked to Parent Party via related accounts
Location contacts - each one goes in a Party/Person linked to the location Party

Devices - Asset entity, tied to the appropriate Party (location), IP addresses and other stuff add as Asset Identifications like serial numbers.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Asset+Maintenance+Setup <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Asset+Maintenance+Setup>

Nice part about the Asset model is you can also tie it to Product IDs. So you could have say all of your Cisco Model #12345 routers linked appropriately.  It also has some nice services for scheduling tasks by asset groups.

You should be able to squeeze that all into the existing data model which will make your maintenance much easier. General rule I try to follow is avoid changing the native data model at all costs, 9 times out of 10 it’s the business process that needs tweaking, not the data model. :-)

> Why my subject says maybe no answer required is that I'm about to dig into what we've got for docs in an official capacity, and I may find it down the road anyway. If you know this is doable, just let me know and I'll be paying special attention for it as while I'm working on updating docs.
>
> And I'm also asking because I've got my own PHP app almost written that does all this, but if I'm going to run a business with OFBiz, I'd rather just let it do all the keeping track of stuff like this, rather than bouncing around in different applications. I may still write a PHP script that pulls from the OFBiz db and displays how I'd like, but that depends on how OFBiz does it.

From a maintenance perspective, it’s wise to avoid mixing PHP and Java worlds if you’re writing new code, will make your long term maintenance and devops a giant headache, having to maintain two software stacks.  Picking up Freemarker is pretty trivial, or if you are using something newer on the gui side just expose what you need via a ofbiz service.

—P

Parties/customers -- maybe no answer required

Re: Java 8

Posted by Paul Foxworthy <pa...@cohsoft.com.au>.
Hi Ron,

It should be JAVA_HOME. See some suggestions here
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/24641536/how-to-set-java-home-in-linux-for-all-users
.

Cheers

Paul Foxworthy