Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Tommy Chheng <tc...@uci.edu> on 2008/04/28 20:03:10 UTC

firewall

Hi,
I'm trying to get CouchDB to work as a server. I got it install and
everything works from the same machine, ie, wget localhost:5984 gives
a response.

but i want to access this server over the internet. I set an allow in
iptables:
/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --sport 5984 -j ACCEPT
/sbin/iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 5984 -j ACCEPT

/sbin/iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
RH-Firewall-1-INPUT  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
RH-Firewall-1-INPUT  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:
5984
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp spt:
5984

I'm able to connect to my webserver on this same machine fine. Just no
response on 5984.

Any ideas what's wrong?

thanks,
tommy

Re: firewall

Posted by Tommy Chheng <tc...@uci.edu>.
I'm on couch 0.7.3a813
I only recently checked it from SVN so it should be fairly new.

Re: firewall

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: firewall

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
I'd start by getting a tcpdump of the traffic to port 5984 on the
couchdb machine.

Re: firewall

Posted by Tommy Chheng <tc...@uci.edu>.
Thanks for the tip. The problem was my host provider only allowed port
80/21 at the router level.

Re: firewall

Posted by Anthony Mills <am...@gascard.net>.

Re: firewall

Posted by Tommy Chheng <tc...@uci.edu>.

Re: firewall

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: firewall

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: firewall

Posted by Tommy Chheng <tc...@uci.edu>.

Re: firewall

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: firewall

Posted by Tommy Chheng <tc...@uci.edu>.

Re: firewall

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: firewall

Posted by Tommy Chheng <tc...@uci.edu>.

Re: firewall

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.

Re: firewall

Posted by Tommy Chheng <tc...@uci.edu>.

Re: firewall

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 2:03 PM, Tommy Chheng <tc...@uci.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>  I'm trying to get CouchDB to work as a server. I got it install and
> everything works from the same machine, ie, wget localhost:5984 gives a
> response.
>
>  but i want to access this server over the internet. I set an allow in
> iptables:
>  /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --sport 5984 -j ACCEPT
>  /sbin/iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 5984 -j ACCEPT
>
>  /sbin/iptables -L
>  Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
>  target     prot opt source               destination
>  RH-Firewall-1-INPUT  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
>  RH-Firewall-1-INPUT  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
>  ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:5984
>  ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp spt:5984
>

>  I'm able to connect to my webserver on this same machine fine. Just no
> response on 5984.
>
>  Any ideas what's wrong?
>
>  thanks,
>  tommy

I think this is your problem:
-A OUTPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 5984 -j ACCEPT

Try chaning the --dport to --sport. Or, also, you could just not
filter outbound traffic. Unless for some reason you don't trust code
running behind your firewall.

HTH,
Paul